1994 SB TBI pulse msec (rich)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait guys, when you turn on the key engine off, the MAP sensor will read close to 100 KPa (zero inches vacuum) or a little lower depending on elevation and atmospheric conditions. The ECM/PCM will use that for adjusting other parameters.

Depending on your setup, like cam and heads, etc it'll read differently when idling. I've had readings as low as 35 and as high at 70 KPa. At ~35 KPa, I put a vacuum gauge on it and got ~20" vacuum. On my 383 and longer duration cam, I'm getting ~70+ at idle but, when I'm cruising at ~60 MPH/2200 RPM my MAP goes down to ~40 KPa.

Anyway, the lower the vacuum, the higher the MAP sensor will read.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait guys, when you turn on the key engine off, the MAP sensor will read close to 100 KPa (zero inches vacuum) or a little lower depending on elevation and atmospheric conditions. The ECM/PCM will use that for adjusting other parameters.

Depending on your setup, like cam and heads, etc it'll read differently when idling. I've had readings as low as 35 and as high at 70 KPa. At ~35 KPa, I put a vacuum gauge on it and got ~20" vacuum. On my 383 and longer duration cam, I'm getting ~70+ at idle but, when I'm cruising at ~60 MPH/2200 RPM my MAP goes down to ~40 KPa.

Anyway, the lower the vacuum, the higher the MAP sensor will read.
I took it as the reading he is getting at idle.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low vacuum = high pressure.

I'm too lazy to convert KPa to something I understand. Metric. Ish. Get off my lawn!
Yeah,I'm with you but that's the unit of measure they used when they built these black magic boxes. Hell,all the body bolts are metric too.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to download Tunerpro RT wonder if it will have that option? I'd prefer farenheit and inches of mercury myself.