Amp questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently got a couple great pairs of speakers. Both are Kicker, 2 are 4x10 for the dash, and 2 are 6.5 for the doors (this will be a custom install). I currently have speakers in the doors, but Ill be rewiring them back to the dash. Now heres the tricky part. I want to power the 6.5s thru an amp. I currently havean amp running a sub. My radio is a Pioneer 6800 series.
Can i just wire the speakers and amp up and split the control wire?
Is there anything special i may need to do to accomplish this?
Also, i want to amplify the dash and b pillar speakers (which are wired into pigtail). Is that possible?
For refrence, its 91 chevy RCSB, with a pioneer 6800 series radio, has a 100w sub/amp combo, and plenty of room to expand.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I am running all my speakers non amp. Only the sub with amp. The sub wired in pulled all the base out of the 6.5 and 4x10 speakers freeing them up for treble and mid. Sounds awesome and have no problem jamming with the windows down rolling 80 down the interstate.

Just my 2 cents!!

I can roll into the car wash jamming to Pearl Jam or DAC shutting down most pants dragging trolls.

Last edited:

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have 6 speakers though? I cant figure a way to run 6 when i only have wires for 4 in the harness.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can absolutely do what you're asking as long as you have spare RCA pre-outs on your head unit. Just hook the amp's RCAs up to the "Front" pre-outs on your head unit. Run the 6.5s off of that amp, leave everything else on head unit power. You don't need anything more than that for 4x6s.

As long as you're only running two amps total, you should be just fine daisy-chaining the remote wire from one amp to the next. It's when you do three or more that you want to think about adding a relay so you don't draw too much current from the head unit and pop the internal fuse.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes 6 speakers counting the 2 tweeters next two the window controls. Already factory wired.

That doesn't count! :lol:

But seriously, the way those are wired you're still dealing with four speakers. Unless you're running a full active crossover system, nobody counts individual drivers as their own separate entities.

Mark Lutz

Reaction score
Tweeter don't show any ohm value so you can run as many as you need. If you want to run multiple speakers to your head/amp. You have to make sure the ohm values are correct for the amp/head unit. Check all speakers with a ohm meter. Head units don't go lower then 4 ohms per channel. Higher ohm values like 8 ohms are ok. Just won't be as loud. But will make your head unit not work as hard where lower then 4ohm will make it unstable and take a chance of destroying your head unit. Same theory goes for a amp. But ohm values will be different depending on the amp. Coming out of your head unit is easy unless you have only one set of pre outs. In this case they maybe sub pre outs. If this is the case then you can't run mids and highs thru them. If not your in business. You can buy use y adapters to y out to both amps. Hope this helps.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tweeter don't show any ohm value so you can run as many as you need.

Sorry but this is completely untrue. Every single driver (whether it be for bass, mids, or highs) has an impedance. If your tweeter has no impedance, something is seriously wrong with it.

Car tweeters are commonly around 4 Ohms.

You can buy use y adapters to y out to both amps.

EDIT - Also... Y-adapters on signal RCAS is a terrible thing to do unless you have no other option. You're essentially halving the signal strength from your head unit to the amp, which will result in you needing to boost the gain on the amp, which will result in unwanted distortion and other bad juju. It's just not a good practice. Especially considering you can buy a new head unit with proper pre-outs for your intended application for so cheap.

Last edited: