Am I supposed to have a 2 piece driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So on my 02 hd truck it has two piece shaft, the 6" lift made it tough on carrier bearings and u joints. I used a 1 1/2 wide 1/4" thick piece of steel bent it and dropped mount lower with correct angles. Added couple gussets for good measure. Bolts up like the factory one did. Its not tough to do and bet bracket off 99 up would work

crashnitup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So on my 02 hd truck it has two piece shaft, the 6" lift made it tough on carrier bearings and u joints. I used a 1 1/2 wide 1/4" thick piece of steel bent it and dropped mount lower with correct angles. Added couple gussets for good measure. Bolts up like the factory one did. Its not tough to do and bet bracket off 99 up would work
I wonder if that would work. I’ll do some research on it

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe im just usèd to fab work and using whats available to me but i have never had a Issues getting things like this to work and look factory doing it.
If the later model wont fit just use later model carrier bearing. If you was close to Oklahoma id help ya with it

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good article or write-up on how to set-up a 2 piece driveline? I've read a few articles but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

This is an older article that I came across.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0608rc-driveshaft-tech/#:~:text=Angle setup for two-piece,it were a single shaft.

"Angle setup for two-piece shafts is similar to the one-piece. All three working angles should add up to zero. The easiest way to do this is to mount the front shaft section so it has zero degrees through the joint at the transmission. The rear shaft may then be treated as if it were a single shaft."

My confusion is the part about setting up the front shaft at zero degrees through the transmission. I'm reading that as: if the transmission is pointing down 3 degrees set the front driveshaft in-line with that. Which would involve that first u-joint at the transmission end essentially having no movement. I was under the impression that u-joints are supposed to always have some degree of movement in them and not be set at zero.

These are a couple vids I came across about how drivelines and u-joints work that I thought where interesting if anyone else is interested.

U-joint -
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phasing -
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Any help or information is much appreciated,

Thank you,

Thomas

Last edited: