Alternator wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I upgraded to a Powermaster 124 amp alternator on my 92 RCSB. I know its best to run a large wire from the amp. is it suitable to run a 4-6 gauge wire just from the alt to the power distribution block on the firewall? or should I run a secondary wire from the battery to the distribution block? Wiring/electricity is not my strong suit.

Or should I run a secondary wire from the alt straight to the battery and leave everything else as is?

any thought/suggestions much appreciated.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
i personally keep the factory wire in place and just add a second wire running from the alternator to the battery directly. JUST BE SURE TO KEEP IT AWAY FROM ANYTHING MOVING ANYTHING HOT!!!!! zip ties all over the wire to keep it away from fans and exhaust.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i personally keep the factory wire in place and just add a second wire running from the alternator to the battery directly. JUST BE SURE TO KEEP IT AWAY FROM ANYTHING MOVING ANYTHING HOT!!!!! zip ties all over the wire to keep it away from fans and exhaust.

x2 This is also one of those times where bigger is better

Reaction score
thank you, that sounds like the easiest solution. I have e-fans and an MSD 6A box so it does pull some amps when everything gets going. Would prefer to follow your advice and just run an additional line rather than mess with reworking everything.

thank you