All too common LS swap vs unique old school small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I’d ask for some opinions… I have a 97 reg cab short bed, with a 4.3 and nv3500. She’s a little rough, I spent 2 years slowly going through it to make it a somewhat reliable daily. Eventually I am wanting to start rebuilding it with more of a resto mod outlook. I’m torn because it’s hard to argue with a LS swap because of what you can get for the money, and it really isn’t too big of an undertaking… but EVERYONE does it. I had a cool idea to go the “wrong” direction and build a pro tour 454 theme, but instead of a big block, a 454 cu in small block from blueprint engines. But this would be kind of a big project to try and come up with a good fuel injection system for a small block platform while trying to use factory harness and possibly pcm… idk just thought I’d toss these thoughts out to you all and see what comes out of it! Just trying to think differently.
Well to be honest the LS is a pretty good swap. I ran one in my truck buddy mine did the swap for me. (Was planning on ordering a 383 Stroker crate but he had a ls sitting on a stand in his shop and hooked me up) But you have to budget for the harness and computer. I went with the psi computer and harness set up. Small block is also good too. Benefits of both engines is the strong after market parts availability. To be truly different 6 cylinder's would work. Or should I ugh say go electric (would not unless you want to) Personally I would say do what you feel comfortable with.
Considering the small block was the LS of its era.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think all LS motors are over bore. For cheap high rev action the 4.8 is what you want. The LS7 has a 7k rpm redline, but I read it was designed for 8k and then dialed it back for longevity.
I believe the high rev ls engines I’ve seen they use the 4.8 rotating assembly for 8k rpm. But then I’ve seen the monster 8500rpm ls in that Detroit speed camaro which is a $37k motor. Lol
Would I be correct in assuming the money is spent for improving lubrication? Adding remote oilers and whatnot in the top end

Last edited:

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$40 on rock auto, or did you mean the entire sending unit?
We're filling with fuel pumps you're talking the ones for the LS swaps if I have to say fuel pump I would say go with a Bosh 044 and some metric to an adapters

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost forgot if you're going to do the LS swap you're gonna need a fuel pump that would put the proper pressure. What is the injection setup you're gonna use on your vehicle are you going full injection. Carbureted or tbi