Air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Helper bags, air bags, air springs whatever. Ive already got a pair of bags, tank, and compressor. Anyone have a good source on brackets for the rear axle? And any input/advice on solenoids and such? For now itll mainly be if i put too much firewood or scrap in the bed but will eventually be buyin a camper. I did see autoanything (i think it was them) had a sret up for like $200 with bags but no one i know has bought from them and summit n Amazon cant seem to find things to fit our trucks. TIA.

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score
Firestone and Airlift do install kits, and they also sell parts separately.

You will need a pressure switch for the tank, so the compressor shuts off at a reasonable PSI (eg. firestone part number 9016)
You will need a pressure gauge to check the pressure in the bags (almost anything will work great, around 0-100psi)
Might be a good idea to also install a pressure gauge in the tank so you can monitor it.

I think what you're thinking in regards to solenoids is electric over air. very possible to use, but you'll need to have 1 that fills the bags and 1 that dumps the air. and if you want to run separate pressures to each bag, you'll need 4 in total, but it does prevent you from having to run airlines to the cab.
A much simpler solution would be instead to run with a paddle switch (airlift 21703, which fills in one direction and dumps in the other.) Again, if you want to run the bags at different pressures, you would need 2 of these. 1 airline run in from the tank as supply, and 2 running out (1 from each switch) for delivery to the bags.

Plastic airline and fittings are readily available at any truck shop - very commonly used for air brakes. highly recommended to go there instead of an automotive supply place for those.

It is difficult to find kits for install without the bags. Firestone does sell parts individually, although it may be hard to find some of them. Link to the install manual including part numbers:

https://www.firestoneip.com/rr-kit-install-manuals/W217602025.pdf

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Firestone and Airlift do install kits, and they also sell parts separately.

You will need a pressure switch for the tank, so the compressor shuts off at a reasonable PSI (eg. firestone part number 9016)
You will need a pressure gauge to check the pressure in the bags (almost anything will work great, around 0-100psi)
Might be a good idea to also install a pressure gauge in the tank so you can monitor it.

I think what you're thinking in regards to solenoids is electric over air. very possible to use, but you'll need to have 1 that fills the bags and 1 that dumps the air. and if you want to run separate pressures to each bag, you'll need 4 in total, but it does prevent you from having to run airlines to the cab.
A much simpler solution would be instead to run with a paddle switch (airlift 21703, which fills in one direction and dumps in the other.) Again, if you want to run the bags at different pressures, you would need 2 of these. 1 airline run in from the tank as supply, and 2 running out (1 from each switch) for delivery to the bags.

Plastic airline and fittings are readily available at any truck shop - very commonly used for air brakes. highly recommended to go there instead of an automotive supply place for those.

It is difficult to find kits for install without the bags. Firestone does sell parts individually, although it may be hard to find some of them. Link to the install manual including part numbers:

https://www.firestoneip.com/rr-kit-install-manuals/W217602025.pdf

Appreciate the info. I'll have to read over it a couple more times to let it sink in. Wantin to get everything ready before i start my install and the more advice the more comfortable ill be doin this job.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the info. I'll have to read over it a couple more times to let it sink in. Wantin to get everything ready before i start my install and the more advice the more comfortable ill be doin this job.
A lot of that info is more applicable to air ride than helper bags.
You don't need a tank, pressure switch, or even an on board compressor for helpers. In cab gauge and on the fly adjustment that a compressor gives is definitely preferred, but not needed if you're on a budget. You can tee the bags together and run a line out by your license plate for external air.
I have a single needle gauge, momentary compressor switch and dump in the cab on my daily NBS. I keep about 20 lbs in the bags when not towing.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't need a tank, pressure switch, or even an on board compressor for helpers. In cab gauge and on the fly adjustment that a compressor gives is definitely preferred, but not needed if you're on a budget. You can tee the bags together and run a line out by your license plate for external air.
I have a single needle gauge, momentary compressor switch and dump in the cab on my daily NBS. I keep about 20 lbs in the bags when not towing.
Yep, had a helper bag setup on my '96 C3500 wrecker years ago. AirLift had a bargain air management setup that tee'd the lines to the bags together, had a compressor that was mounted inside under the extended cab seat (really wasn't loud, either), no tank needed. Small gauge panel with a single needle gauge and a momentary switch to run the compressor, as well as a pushbutton that wasn't electrical but simply a release valve on the air line.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, had a helper bag setup on my '96 C3500 wrecker years ago. AirLift had a bargain air management setup that tee'd the lines to the bags together, had a compressor that was mounted inside under the extended cab seat (really wasn't loud, either), no tank needed. Small gauge panel with a single needle gauge and a momentary switch to run the compressor, as well as a pushbutton that wasn't electrical but simply a release valve on the air line.

Richard
That's essentially the same setup I have currently.

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score

Ahh of course. That's a much simpler route if not quite as elegant for on-the-fly adjustment. Most paddle switches come with a built-in electric switch for the compressor when the air valve is open.

although a tank is pretty sweet if you ever plan on putting a big-rig horn or a train horn in at a later date :)

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The compressor is only running when the switch is pushed, I also have a low pressure switch set to 5lbs connected to keyed power, that way I don't accidentally run with the bags empty, but it's not required.

Yes, to run horns or air ride a tank is a must.