Aftermarket stereo problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not likely all of your speakers are completely dead. The PO might have taken them out, or they may not be hooked up correctly. If you have a multimeter, test the resistance between the positive and negative of the wires leading to the speakers, should be around 4ohms for midrange speakers, but what you don't want to see is nothing or immeasurably high resistance. If it's 0, you've got a short across the speaker, if it's immeasurable, the speaker isn't hooked up, or it's dead. If the speakers show normal resistance hook a 9v battery to the terminals and listen for a small pop, that indicates they respond to a difference in voltage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I took a video.. I wasn't sure which wire was positive and negative so I did both... hopefully you can tell in the video.

Here is the wiring.. I might try to disconnect the blue wire, I connected it due to it being connected on the old one, which didnt have a face plate.

Should I try jumping the blue with the ignition on 12v? I've heard that worked for some people..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the purposes of resistance across a speaker, polarity makes no difference. You're looking for amplitude, not direction. It really shouldn't vary much unless you're moving the cone. The fact that the impedance is fluctuating like that would indicate to me that you have an inconsistent connection to your driver, that you weren't maintaining adequate connectivity during the test (looked fine, but couldn't tell for the entirety of the test), or your multimeter is not functioning correctly. Should be pretty easy to test which one it is. I recommend getting a second set of leads with alligator clips, but in the meantime do the 9v battery test on the speakers, again polarity doesn't matter for the test, but positive to positive should push the cone up away from the driver, reverse polarity will pull the cone in towards it. Fun way of finding your polarity while you're there, grab a sharpie and mark it. If the cone moves one direction and then stays at a new resting point after being connected to 9v, your speaker is performing normally, at least at low levels. If it's connected fully the cone should just move and stay constant because the voltage is constant, if the cone moves with the voltage constant, the speaker is not functioning correctly. Below is a comparison if two identical speakers using the multimeter test. You're working with a midrange speaker as opposed to a subwoofer, but the mechanics are exactly the same, the only difference should be resting impedance and variation during movement of the cone. From the video you posted, I would check the leads from the terminals to the driver, they may be frayed or corroded, either way it should make some amount of noise when hooked to power, if that test was accurate and no noise is coming from the speakers when hooked up, you've got bad connectivity between the head unit and the speakers (another resistance test across the connections of each speaker wire from head unit to speaker terminal would diagnose this), your head unit isn't pushing sound to it (double check settings, and set multimeter to read voltage and check for voltage differential between terminal wires at speaker connection, should vary during playback, but should be something other than 0), or you soldered the harness incorrectly.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got nothing from 9v battery

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw this also...
You must be registered for see images attach

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well now u have an excuse to buy some decent speakers for your truck! The factory speaker have a high impedance ( think it says 9.5ohm right on the back there) anyway and wouldn't be very loud on an aftermarket radio anyways, new speakers are goin to be 4 ohms which is what an aftermarket headunit is designed to power. May I suggest get a decent set of plate speakers ( fits 4x6 hole but has a 4" round speaker and a tweeter instead of an oval speaker) . If you just want sound and not overly worried about great sound just grab a set of 4x6 soeakers. It's not that 4x6 don't sound good, it's that a plate speaker sounds ALOT better, but that's my opinion. Hope it helps, ND be prepared for a helluva time getting to the rear speakers!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't see your reply until today, sorry. No movement when jumping the driver with 9v means the connection is broken, or the driver is broken. Either way, these speakers aren't worth repairing unless it's a simple solder job, or you're really pressed for money. A set of 4" speakers is under $100 for great quality, can be had four under $50 for reasonable quality. I haven't looked at 4" speakers in a while, so they may even be cheaper. Lots of good posts on here about what to replace them with. I'm a fan of infinity, but everybody had their opinions, and most reputable brands go for what the market dictates they're worth. Except JL, great speakers, just overpriced at MSRP in my opinion. If you find a deal on them though, they do sound really good.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm in a pinch for money right now, so I'm not that worried about the sound quality. I just want sound so when I'm going down the highway I have something to listen to :). I did the 9v test on the passenger speaker as well (disconnected) and also got nothing.

Ehall - yeah... I've had the interior pieces in the rear taken off before and I REALLY don't want to do it again. (I should've changed them when I had a chance).

Thank you so much for the help and knowledge!

backinwhite90

Reaction score
Ever figure this one out? My factory unit won't power on, but has clock display when you press MEM. Lights up at night as well as the eq. However power does nothing, we were able to jumper a couple wirs and power it on, everything worked as it should but zero sound, just like with you. I have swapped out all 3 units and experience same issue.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I bought my truck, the radio had the typical frozen display and no sound at all I went to an aftermarket radio (Kenwood) and wired up the adapter to the factory wires as the diagram said. Not a peep! No sound at all. I pulled one speaker at a time and did the battery test . All 4 speakers were open which explained the lack of any sound.

Like the OP , I just wanted a radio so I replaced with speakers of the same size from Best buy. I think I have under 30 bucks in all four. Radio works perfectly and sounds fine. I went with a slightly higher end radio in order to have bluetooth hands free phone. It works great and I think that is a safety item.

EDIT I just realized this is an old thread that someone else revived. Still it is a fact that the factory speakers frequently arrive DOA on these trucks. Easy fix except on a high trim truck. Whichever engineer that designed the high trim option with no way to easily replace a speaker should have a punishment in hell of having to change those speakers on an OBS truck OVER and OVER!

Attachments

• truck11.JPG
    truck11.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: