Acquiring Arteb Brazil GMT400 headlight reflectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in the "I need a set of these " camp. How are we looking on another group buy vs. should I just place a single order via the lightsbyarteb.com website?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FOR COMPARISON: Hella retrofit 4x6 reflectors - two light

I have a set of E-code Hella 4x6 rectangular reflectors on my S10 (pictured below), one reflector on each side. The reflectors are identical to each other; there is no "L" or "R" designation as there is with the Artebs. Each reflector is equipped with one H4 bulb having separate high and low filaments.

For comparison to the Artebs (see post #257, prior) , I went out to the same building in the same industrial park tonight (same, same, same) and took a bunch of pictures of the headlight patterns.

The vehicle was parked in approximately the same location, i.e., perhaps 25' from the wall pictured. As before, I took the picture while standing beside the driver's fender, holding the camera (iPhone) over the hood facing the wall, somewhat to the left of the vehicle centerline.

Note: THIS TIME, the vehicle is mostly aligned with that vertical line on the wall that's visibly illuminated. I tried to make that line be indicative of the vehicle centerline. This was NOT the case with the Arteb pictures posted prior.

The pictures are with both headlights illuminated on low beam, showing:

- the sharp cutoff, characteristic of E-code headlights
- the broad illumination pattern to the LEFT (but not as broad as the Artebs) and truncated pattern to the RIGHT
- the characteristic E-code illumination pattern rise in the center (see post #257, showing the Artebs)

The FIRST picture is as-taken by my iPhone.

The SECOND picture is simply the FIRST picture with the contrast tweaked to maximum.

The THIRD picture was taken from off to the vehicle's left side; the front corner of the vehicle is visible.

The FOURTH picture is the THIRD picture tweaked with maximum contrast.

Comparing these to the Artebs, the Artebs have a broader illumination pattern, particularly on the right side. The have similarly sharp cutoff and rising illumination to the upper right.

In fact, when I look back at my earlier post, at the Arteb's low-beam pattern, it is SO much broader and well defined than Hella's... it really Looks Good™.

The FIFTH picture is of the left-side headlight assembly, for reference, on my S10.

Attachments

• Hella 4x6 - Low.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - Low.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Hella 4x6 - Low max contrast.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - Low max contrast.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Hella 4x6 - Low from side.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - Low from side.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Hella 4x6 - Low from side max contrast.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - Low from side max contrast.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 13
  • Hella 4x6 S10.jpg
    Hella 4x6 S10.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FOR COMPARISON: Hella retrofit 4x6 ... (cont'd)

For the same S10 w/ Hella reflectors as in my post above, here's a picture of the high-beams illuminating the same wall as above, from the same vehicle position (same, same, same).

The Hella reflectors use an H4 bulb having separate high and low beam filaments. I doubt a "4-high" operation is possible, reliably, with an H4 bulb.

Note: THIS TIME, the vehicle is mostly aligned with that vertical line on the wall that's visibly illuminated. I tried to make that line be indicative of the vehicle centerline. This was NOT the case with the Arteb pictures posted prior.

The FIRST picture is the high beams as-taken by my iPhone.

The SECOND picture is simply the FIRST picture with the contrast tweaked to maximum.

The THIRD picture was taken from off to the vehicle's left side; the front corner of the vehicle is visible.

The FOURTH picture is the THIRD picture tweaked with maximum contrast.

Comparing these to the Artebs (post #258): The Artebs have a narrower, more focused high-beam illumination pattern. The broader pattern offered by the Hellas works well at night, providing excellent illumination of the road and good illumination of the roadside. The "4-high" option, if used on the Artebs, would yield a very satisfying pattern overall.

Too, I think I ought adjust my Artebs to spread the high beams a bit more, so as to broaden the pattern (i.e., adjust the left headlight to aim a more to the left a bit, and the right to aim more to the right a bit). Look back at my pictures in post #258. Spreading that light pattern left-and-right would be a benefit.

Comparing these to the Toyotas (post #260): The Toyotas have the low-beams on at the same time (4-high is "standard") but, ignoring the low-beam contribution, the high-beam pattern is quite similar.

Final remarks about the Hellas: I've used 130/90W H4 bulbs in these reflectors, with relays and heavy gauge wiring directly to the alternator (+) and engine (gnd), and the results were quite stunning. The reflector is glass, so heat isn't an issue.

However, in these pictures the bulbs are standard-issue H4 60/55W... not that it matters, as the illumination pattern is (ought to be!) the same regardless of H4 bulb wattage.

Attachments

• Hella 4x6 - High.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - High.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Hella 4x6 - High max contrast.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - High max contrast.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Hella 4x6 - High from side.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - High from side.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Hella 4x6 - High from side max contrast.jpg
    Hella 4x6 - High from side max contrast.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a box today! Thank you @1998_K1500_Sub for fantastic service. I think it only took 7 or 8 days to get to my house!

I think that shipment was a record, it was possibly the quickest I've seen.

Carlos dropped it at the shipping office (Correios) in Jacobina at 3:05pm Wednesday afternoon, just over a week ago. Today, Thursday a week later, at 1:29pm it's delivered to an address in Minnesota.

:waytogo:

Carlos actually shipped two pairs last week, one pair on Wednesday and another on Friday. I'm glad we got them shipped when we did. The reason:

Brazil had elections early this week and the outcome has evidently riled a number of truck drivers, who have in turn blocked highways and generally screwed-up traffic and certain shipping channels, including Correios.

You must be registered for see images attach

(above) Trucks of the national postal office "Correios" wait as supporters of Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro block federal road BR-364 during a protest against President-elect Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva who won a third term following the presidential election run-off, in Cuiaba, Mato Grosso state, Brazil November 1, 2022. REUTERS/Rogerio Florentino

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think that shipment was a record, the quickest delivery from Brazil.

Carlos dropped it at the shipping office (Correios) in Jacobina at 3:05pm Wednesday afternoon, just over a week ago. Today, on Thursday a week later at 1:29pm it's delivered to an address in Minnesota.
Sometimes the shipping companies will surprise you. My last order from RA was placed early on a Friday morning, and I had the parts on that Sunday afternoon. Had them shipped by USPS priority mail....