Acquiring Arteb Brazil GMT400 headlight reflectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i received mine the Saturday mentioned above. First impression was, judging by the size of the box, only one headlight had arrived. After the special delivery receipt was signed and the package opened, I found two headlights inside.
Admiring the ingenuity of the way things were situated, and that it would be pretty difficult to damage the contents, i had the feeling that the pack job was worth the price of admission. :)
i have had to do that sort of thing before and it's not as easy as you might think.
Package was also wrapped in paper, have not seen that in a while.

Thank you Sir, I'm sure Carlos will appreciate your comments.

A fact about shipping that I haven't mentioned often is that the shipper's fee does not depend on:

- the US destination, e.g., Seattle or Miami or anywhere else, or...
- the package size, provided that its dimensions are within bounds.

Rather, the shipper bases the fee entirely on "kilograms". The more massive the package, the more it costs to send.

So Carlos spent quite a bit of time experimenting, and discussing with me the options for re-using the Arteb boxes in which the reflectors were received from the jobber... as each reflector comes in its own box, i.e., two boxes per pair.

We knew shipping costs would be lower if Carlos could reuse the Arteb boxes instead of buying new shipping boxes (at retail).

Too, the Arteb boxes are constructed of a thick, multiple layer cardboard that's quite strong for the task.

Carlos focused on designing the packaging to do a very good job protecting the headlights, e.g., from scratches on the lens or mechanical damage to the aiming / adjusting mechanism.

Then, any unnecessary cardboard had to be removed because it was dead weight that simply inflated the shipping cost.

The solution came to be "use one Arteb box for the outer packaging" and "cut up the second Arteb box and use its cardboard internally for protection", discarding whatever was unnecessary.

So the resulting packaging looks like this (see pictures):

- One Arteb box wrapped in heavy brown paper, containing...
- The headlight brackets at the very top, and
- Two smaller, fabricated boxes beneath the brackets, where each box contains one reflector

As shown in the pictures below, notice the finished product wrapped in brown paper, marked "Fragile".

Within it, on top, are the two headlights' mounting brackets.

Beneath the brackets are two boxes containing the two reflectors.

Notice the little screws protruding up through the cardboard beneath the brackets (see arrows in the attached pictures). Those are the adjuster screws for the reflectors, and the reflectors were packaged with the screws in this position intentionally. Nothing can (or should) bear down upon those screws in transit; the brackets above them are intentionally placed and oriented so that the screws remain guarded by the brackets in transit.

Attachments

• Shipping package.jpg
    Shipping package.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Adjuster screw - one of four.jpg
    Adjuster screw - one of four.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Adjuster screw - four of four.jpg
    Adjuster screw - four of four.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reaction score
BBroller,

yes I saw your comments. I'm so happy for the compliment on the headlight box, Jim and I discussed a lot about the best way to ship the headlights. We thought of making a strong box for the safety of the headlights and compact to reduce shipping costs as much as possible.

Thanks again! And also thanks to Jim, I really enjoy working with him. It's always a pleasure!
Whenever I can, I follow your conversations.

Carlos.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update Oct 7, 2022:

It's gotten slow lately.

Carlos has filled all immediate requests for Arteb headlights. All have been shipped, and I've been told by the recipients that all arrived without incident.

We have a few headlight requests outstanding... the "Hey, I want to get a pair, but we just had a baby so maybe in a few weeks..." sort of thing. There are three or four of these requests hanging out there and we have stock set aside for them. We try to be flexible...

Some headlight requests came via the website (www.lightsbyarteb.com) from folks that didn't seem to be GMT400 members. Most members contact me via GMT400 PM or this thread. These other requests have come via email, using the email address posted on the website ([email protected]).

The exchange rate's been trading in a favorable range lately, 5.2:1 to 5.4:1. This may have bearing when the time comes to make another 12pr purchase from the jobber, as the higher the exchange rate goes, the more we can lower the price. I'm happy that, with the last 12-pair purchase, we were able to price them at under $300/pr.

That's all. I'm just killing time on a Friday night.

Last edited:

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice Job to everyone involved with making this happen. I agree that our US spec headlights are a safety concern! They are not bright. Anyone that has received a pair of the Arteb can you post a before and after of the actual light output? A picture of what the driver would see? I am curious how much different the light output is. If these pictures have already been posted in the other threads feel free to just say so. I haven't read through those threads yet.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nice Job to everyone involved with making this happen. I agree that our US spec headlights are a safety concern! They are not bright. Anyone that has received a pair of the Arteb can you post a before and after of the actual light output? A picture of what the driver would see? I am curious how much different the light output is. If these pictures have already been posted in the other threads feel free to just say so. I haven't read through those threads yet.
Yes this would be great to see! Give us an idea of what you actually gain by doing this upgrade, and help people decide whether it's worth the cost to them to do it.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is an excellent and valid request.

(edit) I've since posted pictures of Arteb, Toyota and Hella headlights' illumination patterns; see my later posts in this thread. (/edit)

Certainly, "before" pictures are quite variable, being factors of:

- mfgr (GM OE, TYC, APC, Spyder,...)
- condition (cloudy lens, deteriorated reflector)
- light source (same bulb used before and after)
- power delivered to the bulb (OE wiring vs upgraded wiring)

Too, the "light output" has at least two useful measures, e.g.,

- lumens / candella (two different but related factors)
- illumination pattern on "high" and "low"

Any "after" pictures are subject to some of the same factors as the "before" pictures.

Probably the more significant factor, and one of the most easily compared factors, is the illumination pattern, on both "high" and "low".

While nobody has yet posted pictures of the Arteb's "pattern against a white wall at a specific distance", there have been some pictures presented which were intended to provide some insight.

In the Arteb Users Thread, @962500HD [2] posted some pictures of his Arteb's illumination of the roadway (he made some wiring upgrades, read all his posts)

In the same thread, I as @1998_K1500_Sub [3] posted images I had found of an E-code low-beam patttern which were strikingly representative of that provided by the Artebs.

Let me noodle this over a bit more and see what if I can provide something more useful. I actually have my Suburban on the road and so could take some pictures, if I can find decent conditions under which to take them.

Meanwhile, peruse the references below.

References:

[1] Daniel Stern Lighting "Lens Markings Decoded" https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html

[2] @962500HD, posted images of Arteb headlamps on roadway, with "4-high" mods, https://www.gmt400.com/threads/arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-users-thread.56596/post-1243587

[3] @1998_K1500_Sub, posted images of an E-code low-beam pattern on vertical wall; this pattern practically identical to the Artebs https://www.gmt400.com/threads/arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-users-thread.56596/post-1243601

[4] E-code headlight - GM T84 Export Option http://www.lightsbyarteb.com/T84_Headlights.pdf

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone that has received a pair of the Arteb can you post a before and after of the actual light output? A picture of what the driver would see?

I went out to an industrial park tonight and took a bunch of pictures of the Arteb's headlight patterns...

- both on low, high (I don't have 4-high enabled), and

- with left, right, and both headlights illuminated

In the upcoming day(s) I'll post these to the Arteb Users thread, with my comments.

As a teaser, here's a picture with both headlights illuminated on low beam, showing:

- the sharp cutoff
- the broad illumination pattern left and right
- the characteristic E-code illumination pattern rise, angling upward towards the right, so as to illuminate right-side road signs and markers (for right-hand rule countries)

The vehicle was perhaps 25' from the wall pictured. I took the picture while standing beside the driver's fender, holding the camera (iPhone) over the hood facing the wall, somewhat to the left of the vehicle centerline (my arms aren't long enough to reach to the vehicle's center).

There's quite a bit of ambient light on account of lights in the building's parking lot.

The FIRST picture is as-taken by my iPhone.

The SECOND picture is simply the FIRST picture with some effects added to accent the illumination.

The THIRD picture is the SECOND picture with lines added to highlight the rising illumination to the right.

The FOURTH picture was taken from off to the vehicle's left side; the front corner of the vehicle is visible. This picture was tweaked with maximum contrast.

The FIFTH picture has lines on it which highlight the vehicle centerline (green), the low-beam illumination cut-off (blue), and the low-beam's uplift to the right-hand side (red).

In each image you can see the parking lot curb, the building's wall, and the landscaping in-between them.

Attachments

• Arteb - both low.jpg
    Arteb - both low.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 27
  • Arteb - both low contrast max.jpg
    Arteb - both low contrast max.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Arteb - both low contrast max RH rise noted.jpg
    Arteb - both low contrast max RH rise noted.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Arteb - both low contrast max from side.jpg
    Arteb - both low contrast max from side.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Arteb - both low contrast max green vehicle CL.jpg
    Arteb - both low contrast max green vehicle CL.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the Arteb's high-beams (L&R together) illuminating the same wall as above, from the same vehicle position (same, same, same).

Note: The vehicle is NOT aligned with that vertical line on the wall that's visibly illuminated. I didn't intend for that line to be indicative of the vehicle centerline. It is not.

The SECOND I've set the contrast to maximum.

The Arteb's high beam pattern is very focused.

While I don't have "4-high" configured, the two illumination patterns, i.e., simultaneous low and high, would be quite complimentary.

I've other pictures that I'll post later in the Arteb Users thread. These are just a couple of teasers for now, as I've been busy lately and haven't had time to post all of them.

(edit) After comparing Arteb's high-beam pattern to Toyota's (see post #260) and Hella's (post #267), I think I should adjust the Artebs so as to spread the pattern, i.e., adjust the left headlight to the left a bit, and the right to the right a bit. The widening of the illumination pattern would produce a result more similar to the Toyota and Hella headlamps.

Attachments

• Arteb - both high.jpg
    Arteb - both high.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Arteb - both high contrast max.jpg
    Arteb - both high contrast max.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FOR COMPARISON: Toyota projector lows / halogen highs

I have a Toyota SUV with projector low beams and halogen high beams. These are US DOT spec headlights, unlike E-code (as you'll soon see).

For comparison to the Artebs (see post #257, prior) , I went out to the same building in the same industrial park tonight (same, same, same) and took a bunch of pictures of the headlight patterns.

The vehicle was parked in approximately the same location, i.e., perhaps 25' from the wall pictured. As before, I took the picture while standing beside the driver's fender, holding the camera (iPhone) over the hood facing the wall, somewhat to the left of the vehicle centerline.

The pictures are with both headlights illuminated on low beam, showing:

- the sharp cutoff, characteristic of projector headlights
- the broad illumination pattern left and right
- the LACK OF characteristic E-code illumination pattern rise in the center (see post #257, showing the Artebs)

The SECOND picture is simply the FIRST picture with the contrast tweaked to maximum.

The THIRD picture was taken from off to the vehicle's left side; the front corner of the vehicle is visible.

The FOURTH picture is the THIRD picture tweaked with maximum contrast.

Comparing these to the Artebs, the Artebs have a similarly broad illumination pattern and sharp cutoff, and have increased illumination in the center and to the right.

The FIFTH picture is of the left-side headlight assembly, for reference. Notice it's sitting on a shelf; it's an "extra".

Attachments

• 2008 RX projector - low.jpg
    2008 RX projector - low.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2008 RX projector - low contrast max.jpg
    2008 RX projector - low contrast max.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2008 RX projector - low from side.jpg
    2008 RX projector - low from side.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2008 RX projector - low from side contrast max.jpg
    2008 RX projector - low from side contrast max.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 15
  • Toyota projector assy.jpg
    Toyota projector assy.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FOR COMPARISON: Toyota projector... (cont'd)

For the same Toyota SUV as in my post above, here's a picture of the high-beams illuminating the same wall as above, from the same vehicle position (same, same, same).

KEEP IN MIND this Toyota has "4-high" OE headlight operation, so the broad pattern seen in the low-only pictures in the prior post remains evident in these high-beam pictures, augmented of course by the halogen high-beams. These patterns cannot be compared to the Artebs without taking this into consideration, e.g., in one's "mind's eye".

Note: THIS TIME, the vehicle is mostly aligned with that vertical line on the wall that's visibly illuminated. I tried to make that line be indicative of the vehicle centerline. This was NOT the case with the Arteb pictures posted prior.

The SECOND picture is simply the FIRST picture with the contrast tweaked to maximum.

The THIRD picture was taken from off to the vehicle's left side; the front corner of the vehicle is visible.

The FOURTH picture is the THIRD picture tweaked with maximum contrast.

The FIFTH picture is of the left-side headlight assembly, for reference. Notice it's sitting on a shelf; it's an "extra".

Attachments

• 2008 RX projector - high.jpg
    2008 RX projector - high.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2008 RX projector - high contrast max.jpg
    2008 RX projector - high contrast max.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2008 RX projector - high from side.jpg
    2008 RX projector - high from side.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2008 RX projector - high from side contrast max.jpg
    2008 RX projector - high from side contrast max.jpg