Accessory headache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys. My '93 sierra doesn't seem to have a keyed acc function. Lock, dead spot with no power, on, and start. I tried and cannot turn the key back beyond lock. Anyone have any experience with this? There's a clear "detent" feeling spot between lock and on. I'm assuming a bad switch on the bottom of the column? Any help is much appreciated!!

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I had a new key made, which I understand wouldn't fix anything in that case. But the key doesn't appear to worn or brassy......I assume acc should be towards the steering wheel past the lock position?

Did you just have it duplicated off the old key or cut from the code? The duplicate will have the same flaws as the original.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had a new key made, which I understand wouldn't fix anything in that case. But the key doesn't appear to worn or brassy......I assume acc should be towards the steering wheel past the lock position?
ACC position is on its own, reverse from the other positions, turned back from LOCK towards the driver.

Richard

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this sounds fishy, but trust me. If you know someone with another GMT-400, try his key. My 97 was a replacement for another 97 when it was wrecked in 05 and the original 97’s keys fit my truck. The other day I pulled a key from a Tahoe just for the heck of it and tried it on mine. It unlocked my door but wouldn’t start the truck.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I know this sounds fishy, but trust me. If you know someone with another GMT-400, try his key. My 97 was a replacement for another 97 when it was wrecked in 05 and the original 97’s keys fit my truck. The other day I pulled a key from a Tahoe just for the heck of it and tried it on mine. It unlocked my door but wouldn’t start the truck.

That's how my last square body got stolen, and I hear it's an issue with Crown Vic police cars too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just as an FYI the tumbler mechanism and keys for a 93 are nothing like your 97. :D The entire column design changed in 95.

Richard

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other key method could very well work as an indicator, hell, mine was broken into with a rake spike that had had the end sanded round :Big Laugh: Probably didn't start with it or then the thief never tried, didn't have to, because my spare key was still in the center column, had had the truck for two days when they rode off with it :)