Accelerator pedal very sticky on 89 TBI 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onebadtwo

Reaction score
I just purchased an 89 K1500 regular cab long bed. It has the 350 TBI motor with only 118000 on the clock. The accelerator pedal on this truck is VERY stiff (or sticky), to the point that it is hard to take off in the rain without getting a little outa shape. While this is fun, it does get a little old! Has anybody else had this problem? How can I fix it?
Thanks
Curtis

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would first inspect the throttle body itself, there may be enough carbon/fuel varnish on and around the throttle butterflies to make them stick I have seen that, also check the cable, and the gas pedal itself for any sign's of problem's. Also those throttle cables have a plastic cover between the cable end and the throttle body, I have once seen a truck where the plastic cover was getting hung up on the end of the cable itself, anyway I hope it's an easy fix!

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same thing on my 91 when i first bought it. Just like DRAGGIN95 said it was the plasic jacket that was causing it to stick.
If you do end up replacing it get one from the dealer

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I had the same thing on my 91 when i first bought it. Just like DRAGGIN95 said it was the plasic jacket that was causing it to stick.
If you do end up replacing it get one from the dealer

Mine was sticking, i cut off the plastic part, throttle is much better.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Mine was sticking, i cut off the plastic part, throttle is much better.

Yep, taking it off DOES help, and I've yet to understand why they're really there, except to keep trash off the cable maybe? Also cable could be sticky or corroded around end of exterior housing, check for any kinks in the cable housing, check the hinge of the pedal....remove cable from throttle body then lightly put a finger on the upper end of the pedal, it should just drop to the floor. Actually, mine drops soon as I unhook the loop from throttle shaft. I need to adjust my bracket a little, it's making cable too tight.

onebadtwo

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I went to a friends house who has a 89 C1500 with the 350. We both unhooked out kickdown and accelerator cables. His TBI is MUCH easier to rotate! What are my options? Can I get another TBI? What years will interchange with this 89? I have a 95 G20 with the 350 as well, but it has developed a bad knock in the bottom end and its going to the big junkyard in the sky. Are they the same TBI?

onebadtwo

Reaction score
Does anybody here have one of the Holley TBI's? Do they work good on a stock engine?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well, I can't say it will hurt the engine....but I can tell you that the engine in stock configuration only flows around 450-475 cfm at redline. The stock throttle body bench flows around 480-485(benched one at 482). The holley will require either machined upper intake ports or a shared port tbi spacer for the 454tbi. The holley butterflys will catch on the stock sbc intake ports.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I went to a friends house who has a 89 C1500 with the 350. We both unhooked out kickdown and accelerator cables. His TBI is MUCH easier to rotate! What are my options? Can I get another TBI? What years will interchange with this 89? I have a 95 G20 with the 350 as well, but it has developed a bad knock in the bottom end and its going to the big junkyard in the sky. Are they the same TBI?

check the plugs before you try it, i think they have differant ones