Ac system advice anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure. I don't know much about them. It's making a noise like something is rubbing together, like grinding. It does it all the time, whether the AC is on or off. My uncle thought it was the bearing the first time.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It also blows warmer when i'm going over 50MPH and cools back down when i slow down.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the clutch is slipping/burned up. I've had a new R4 compressor from NAPA come with the air gap on the clutch way out of tolerance, it s/b 0.020 - 0.030". If it's too big it'll start slipping and burn up soon. The clutch is pressed on - there's no shims. The nut on the shaft only keeps it from flying off. If you don't have the clutch puller/installation kit, you can carefully drive it further on until you get the proper gap. If it's too tight, you need the clutch puller set.

You must be registered for see images attach

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1994 k1500. I bought an AC Delco compressor from Rockauto 2 years ago. Pulley went bad on it after a year. Got the replacement under warranty and now that pulley is going bad. I did replace the required parts and flushed the system both times. What is a good, reliable brand to buy other than Delco?

What color is your compressor ?
I believe this is true from what I have seen
AC Delco “black” ones are rebuilt units
Natural aluminum units from ac delco are new.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the clutch is slipping/burned up. I've had a new R4 compressor from NAPA come with the air gap on the clutch way out of tolerance, it s/b 0.020 - 0.030". If it's too big it'll start slipping and burn up soon. The clutch is pressed on - there's no shims. The nut on the shaft only keeps it from flying off. If you don't have the clutch puller/installation kit, you can carefully drive it further on until you get the proper gap. If it's too tight, you need the clutch puller set.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll ask my uncle about that. He’s worked on these style trucks for years.