Ac system advice anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, I had the opportunity to have lunch with the local district and regional managers of a major auto parts store. I asked them why my store manager kept telling me to accept warranty returns on parts that were obviously not defective, or had been returned multiple times (batteries, plug wires, caps and rotors) but were only symptoms of a deeper issue. I was told the following:

"Customers like these can be aggravating, but you have to remember that most of these hard parts are low margin and infrequently purchased. If we lose the customer's business over a set of plug wires that we make, say, two percent net profit on, we have also lost his business on the monthly purchases of high margin items like shop towels, tire shine, car wash soap, washer fluid, etc. Those items are significantly more profitable in themselves, and are bought much more frequently. In other words, we can afford to "eat em and smile" on the hard parts knowing that we will sell the other items.

Also, we have policies and budgets in place at the corporate level for hard parts accepted as defective at the counter but rejected by the manufacturer as not defective. These are audited and tracked, but so long as they are below a certain percentage of overall store sales, they are expected. Do what is necessary to maintain high overall customer satisfaction and profitability will follow."

Given this, I have no qualms about telling somebody to use this corporate mindset to their own advantage. Their entire goal, from the shape of the sales floor, to the arrangement of the plan-o-grams, to the soft muzak playing over the in-store radio is to separate you from your money. If they are willing to bend over backwards to make you happy, it's not out of kindness or magnanimity but to further that stated goal.

You paid for the part. You paid for the warranty. Whether you know it or not, you've already paid for part of the cost of the replacement part, as it's built into the original price. I'm not about to tell one guy who made an honest mistake to suck it up when the company itself doesn't give a damn one way or the other. There's no due diligence on the part of the company to verify or deny a warranty claim, because nobody in the store is qualified to do so. How do I know? How many times have you been asked for year/make/model by the counter jockey when all you want is header gaskets? Do you think THAT guy can tell defective plug wires from good? An AC compressor run without oil from one that had a defect? A condenser with a hole in it versus one that was left open? NO! Why? Because the corporation does not care. Spare me the moral pearl-clutching and proselytizing, it's just business.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SAATR, being able to 'justify' your behavior doesn't make it right.

Tdean, flush it yourself and run it. If you get a couple spare A/C lines from Pull-A-Part and straighten them a bit, you can funnel soapy water into your evaporator yourself and flush it in about half an hour. I did it yesterday on mine.
View media item 32295

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
T you can funnel soapy water into your evaporator yourself and flush it in about half an hour. I did it yesterday on mine.
And How long did it take you to vacuum all the moisture out of the system? Im betting to took longer then a hour and a half.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about getting the dried out soap after the moisture has been removed. Use the solvent and flush the entire system, without the orifice tube installed, then blow clean air through it, install the tube, oil, and suck it down.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't think about the soap. In my line of work i had some one tell me they fixed a condenser leak and pressure tested it with water. They said it took 3 full days to get all the moisture out. But this is on a system that will pull down and hold -20 when its 100+ out.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a new compressor or condenser yet, so I haven't put a vacuum on it. Typically I put the vacuum pump on a system and let it run a few hours. then I cap it off and check the next day to ensure it's still holding the same vacuum reading.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using water is a big NO NO
Will ruin Desiccant in the receiver/drier/accumulator
Why waste days of your life trying to save a 25 dollar part

You will need a new drier also
With compressor, last item I connect to system as to keep it open to atmosphere as little amount of time as possible

Ac work is fun . If you do it right

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For $100 I would just go new. Putting all new stuff with one bad component just doesn’t appeal to me. I would just fix it right

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you put a vacuum pump on it the water evaporates and gets sucked out. That's a big reason why you use a vacuum pump. Even if you aren't necessarily flushing your system, oil won't evaporate in a vacuum, and any condensation contaminating the oil boils out and is expelled.

EDIT: It occurs to me you might not realize I am talking about flushing out the evaporator, not the entire system. Yes, trying to flush out the accumulator with water is a bad idea.

Last edited: