Ac system advice anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Alright guys, gotta ac system question. A few years back I wrecked my truck well in the little of fixing everything I broke the ac going from the condenser to the evaporator core at the fire wall. I replaced the condenser because I crushed the old one in the wreck. Got tired of fooling with it and didn't feel like pulling my dash at the time so I ran the line from the condenser to the compressor and capped the line from the condenser to the evaporator core off. My compressor was never plugged in or anything just had the lines attached. Well the compressor clutch went bad today. So I bought the ac compressor, accumulator, evaporator core and the line I had broke. Well sometime in between then and now the cap came off my condenser. Should I try flushing it or just drop another 100$ and be done with it?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could just say that its leaking and have it replaced under whatever warranty your parts store offers and be done with it. If that isn't possible, flush it with a good solvent based flush and clear it with dry compressed air and it should be OK.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
You could just say that its leaking and have it replaced under whatever warranty your parts store offers and be done with it. If that isn't possible, flush it with a good solvent based flush and clear it with dry compressed air and it should be OK.

I use to work at the local car quest independent dealer in town and that's the only place I go when getting parts, not only because I still get my parts at cost with the owner letting me keep my employe discount but they know what they are looking for and can normally find anything your looking for. Most of the time when I mention something going bad they dont ask any questions but that thought didn't even cross my mind thanks SAATR for bringing it up. I'll call and check on that tomorrow.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flush it and use it. I'd feel like a dirtbag if I exchanged a perfectly good part because it got dirty on my account.
THANK YOU!

Lying to commit fraud is wrong.

So the cap came off the plumbing. Disconnect it from the condenser, LOOK INSIDE, see how much dirt/dust is in there, and at which end. If you see dust/dirt at the condenser end, flush the condenser. Flush the tube with whatever you feel comfortable with. Any moisture in the system disappears when you vacuum it. The only thing you'd be concerned with is dust. Most if not all the dust would be in the tube, 'cause it wouldn't travel far enough forward to get to the condenser.

This is so easily fixed it's almost a non-issue.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use to work at the local car quest independent dealer in town and that's the only place I go when getting parts, not only because I still get my parts at cost with the owner letting me keep my employe discount but they know what they are looking for and can normally find anything your looking for. Most of the time when I mention something going bad they dont ask any questions but that thought didn't even cross my mind thanks SAATR for bringing it up. I'll call and check on that tomorrow.

You're welcome. Hopefully you can get the system up and running without too much trouble.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you are talking of the line to the evaporator then you should have an expansion valve in the condenser that would keep lots of stuff out like spiders etc...
I would remove condenser
Back flush as not to push dirt into system
Remove expansion valve and back flush again
And replace with new expansion valve

Same goes if it’s the other side
Just remove expansion valve first to back flush contaminates out

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one question
Why are you changing out evaporator core ? Are the hose connections ends damaged ?

Leonidman63

Reaction score

Dude that is ****** up, just be a man and own up to it. Seems like everybody wants to put the blame on someone else instead of taking personal responsibility for it.

Leonidman63

Reaction score
THANK YOU!

Lying to commit fraud is wrong.

So the cap came off the plumbing. Disconnect it from the condenser, LOOK INSIDE, see how much dirt/dust is in there, and at which end. If you see dust/dirt at the condenser end, flush the condenser. Flush the tube with whatever you feel comfortable with. Any moisture in the system disappears when you vacuum it. The only thing you'd be concerned with is dust. Most if not all the dust would be in the tube, 'cause it wouldn't travel far enough forward to get to the condenser.

This is so easily fixed it's almost a non-issue.

Thanks Schurkey for being a decent human being.