AC compressor ghost running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I'm parked at the end of my driveway and no AC is on....the compressor is cutting on and off...Wtf

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing was on... No defrost no vent..I'll check the freon when I can...I just put a new top line in and refilled with one tall can with a gauge on it..it read that it was full after the can..but is not ice cold like it should be

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Then you've go some weird wiring thing going on because it shouldn't be on unless selected...

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will cut on if the high pressure switch detects a jump in headpressure. A restriction somewhere in your system can cause high headpressure, besides being over charged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'm no auto ac expert so I could be totally wrong, but I think the system has to be energized (ie: on) for high head pressure cycling.

Off should just be off.

I could be wrong though....

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no auto ac expert so I could be totally wrong, but I think the system has to be energized (ie: on) for high head pressure cycling.

Off should just be off.

It makes a weird noise..like when you change the temperature the dash makes weird noises..then it ran..its been hot since it happened so I've had it on constantly so haven't checked of its still happening

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Off should just be off.

Actually high head pressure can happen without it being on. If the condensor gets heat soaked then the refrigerant inside it expands and creates high pressure. So the compressor will then kick on to relieve the head pressure and re compress the refrigerant. Thats my understanding of it anyways. I had a similar issue in my truck, turns out the clutch fan was failing.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually high head pressure can happen without it being on. If the condensor gets heat soaked then the refrigerant inside it expands and creates high pressure. So the compressor will then kick on to relieve the head pressure and re compress the refrigerant. Thats my understanding of it anyways. I had a similar issue in my truck, turns out the clutch fan was failing.

It seemed like it released pressure when it ran it "cycled" a couple times then I heard air releasing

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok turned off AC this morning running nothing, but windows down...at a stop light the compressor cycled and blew a small amount if cold air threw the vents...Wtf