ABS question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A pieper

Reaction score
Okay i think i have a problem with my ABS. When i brake hard and come to a complete stop then go to take off my brakes will release hard like they grabbed and got stuck. replaced brakes front and rear and had it bled at chevy dealership. doesnt do it all the time just when i brake hard and come to a complete stop. so i figured i'd disable it and see if it still does it. i removed the 60 amp fuse for abs in fuse box under hood, from what ive read abs light should come on.....but i have no light. i havent yet driven it but i want to make sure its disabled. so if anyone has any info one this problem or why the dash light isnt on i would greatly appreciate the feedback by brakes have been a headache since i bought it.....vehicle is a 99 suburban 5.7 2wd 308,000 miles

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
The best way to be sure the abs is disabled is to bypass the motor with brake line. The abs on these old chevies is notoriously bad.

Sent from my Vortec powered Stratosphere

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just unplug the ABS module under the hood.

This is what I did, along with the fuse, and I haven't had any issues. When the ABS module is disabled (unplugged, fuse blown/removed or otherwise inoperative) it goes into bypass mode which is like a straight shot through the module. No ABS light and no codes should pop up. When I just pulled the fuse the ABS light didn't come on until I had driven a ways.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Mine has the bulb delete mod. When i do the NBS master cylinder mod, im gonna do away with the ABS all together.

A pieper

Reaction score
okay i drove it to work today brakes were a little better.....still didnt stop my sticking feeling that i described....but the abs light did come on....any suggestions as to why the brakes lock up like this?

ouray19

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 89 K1500. When I came to a complete stop and then started off again it felt like the brakes had locked up and then a loud sound when they released. Checked my parking brake cables and readjusted them. Seems to have taken care of the problem for now. The cable was too tight and looked like it may have been binding or catching on the guides the cables run through. Just a thought.

A pieper

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 89 K1500. When I came to a complete stop and then started off again it felt like the brakes had locked up and then a loud sound when they released. Checked my parking brake cables and readjusted them. Seems to have taken care of the problem for now. The cable was too tight and looked like it may have been binding or catching on the guides the cables run through. Just a thought.

I endend up pullin off rotors at work... Turned em and packed bearings...cleaned abs sensors, they had a ton of metal shavings stuck to them.... But one of the guys suggested i lube my drive shaft... Pulled it off and threw some grease in there. Fixed my clunk at takeoff and fixed my brake problem.. Thanks for all the responses

98 Chevy Swag

Reaction score
My abs light comes on randomly then turns off right after so I think it's acting up and I'm gonna get rid of it I pulled the 60amp fuse for the abs under the hood do I have to get rid of anything else it's a 98 so there's no abs pack next to the master cylinder

98 Chevy Swag

Reaction score
This is what I did, along with the fuse, and I haven't had any issues. When the ABS module is disabled (unplugged, fuse blown/removed or otherwise inoperative) it goes into bypass mode which is like a straight shot through the module. No ABS light and no codes should pop up. When I just pulled the fuse the ABS light didn't come on until I had driven a ways.

My abs light comes on randomly then turns off right after so I think it's acting up and I'm gonna get rid of it I pulled the 60amp fuse for the abs under the hood do I have to get rid of anything else it's a 98 so there's no abs pack next to the master cylinder