A/C system overhaul - Question on diagram.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1996 K2500 Suburban with the 7.4. It has both front and rear A/C. I know the front hoses are leaking and everything else is fine. I haven't spent much time under it yet, but as I'm pricing out parts (so I know how much it costs before I break it LOL). I saw a couple parts in question.
You must be registered for see images

I know I need 1, 4 and 14, but what the heck is 15?

Thanks.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the metal line from the evaporator to the condenser.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
It was fresh in my mind since I just replace the compressor, condenser, manifold hoses, and dryer this weekend on my 97 Silverado.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. My Suburban has rear A/C and the front hoses have a steady leak. The rears are so slight we can't tell if it is a true leak or just drifting refrigerant from the front. I really only need to replace the front hoses, but given the age/mileage, a condenser and accumulator wouldn't be a bad idea. Now i'm not sure if I'm going to need that other line or not. A/C was never my strong point. (BTW we are using a sniffer and we really have to work to get it to beep in the rear.)

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for leaks in an area that is accessible and visible, soapy water in a spray bottle is your best bet. It's only really useful if you have an AC machine that can charge and recover, but you only need to push a couple of pounds into the system to build some pressure, and then start soaking all your hoses and fittings in the solution. Any leaks will bubble steadily.

Option 2 is to get the charging connector from one of the cheap DIY kits that connects to the low pressure fitting and screws on to one of the small cans that you buy at an auto parts store. Cut the line and get a compression fitting to connect it to a standard 3/8 air line. Hook that to an air compressor and you now have a way to pressurize the system without wasting refridgerant. Put about 80 psi on the system and start listening/spraying at any leak points. Downside is you have to vacuum the system out after putting the dirty air in, but you should do that anyway to remove air, moisture, and contaminants.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm actually doing this at a shop with all the A/C equipment. Once we figure out what is leaking it'll all get blown out with nitrogen, vacuumed and charged. I'm ust trying to locate parts and prices. I wasn't sure what that "A/C Tube w/Rear" was.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
update: I took in to to the shop and like I said, had it sniffed. The source of the leak was under the air cleaner. That line I was asking about, it was worn right through. (something rubbing on it) Good thing I noticed it, asked about it and ordered it!

Thanks guys.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: The Air Cleaner housing was what was rubbing. At come going it wasn't installed in the little bracket underneath properly. Still blowing ice cold! No refills since. Nice having A/C.

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk