A/C Compressor Replacement '94 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your system running R12 or R134a? If it's been switched to R134a without upgrading the compressor it won't cool very well. Also, it has thirty years of use and abuse. If you ever take the dash apart, pull that climate control box all the way out and reseal it.

I was a beginning tech back in 1996 when the switch to R134a was made, and people quickly figured out you could just vent the R12 and refill the system with R134a just fine. Not too long after that they always figured out that it wasn't cooling as well.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you following this thread :

I went with all new lines, compressor, evaporator, and condenser for a regular cab pickup and vaccumed everything down and refilled as specified as a regular cab pickup. I simply left the rear lines in place just to be along for the ride.

A year has passed and the system still blows ice cold threw the front vents. Altho it is a lot to ask to cool the whole suburban I usually only have 2 people in the front seats and on a rare occasion a third in the second row, ( the third row is removed for more cargo space ) For me and being in ohio this works just fine up to mid 90's outside temp ( witch we only get on occasion ) Probably would not reccomend this rout for the guys living in the desert or who has kids in the third row.

The only thing that conserns me is when I first did this conversion the compressor was quiet, now it is starting to make the ' hammering " sound again witch from what I read is a common thing with these "pancake" compressors. Still blows ice cold but am suspicious as to how long the new 4 seasons compressor will last.