99 vortec Flexplate ring gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not sure on the torque lbs, but I would NEVER put flex plate/fly wheel bolts in without locktite. I do not want to have to go back in that far just to tighten a stupid bolt!

VortecBurb

Reaction score
alright finally got to em I have about a 1/4" gap between the flexplate and the torque converter mounting holes. I haven't actually measured it but it might be closer to 3/16 It wasn't like that when I removed the old motor. and the bolts which look to be maybe 5/8 or 1/2" are short. Looks like they used red loctite too. So should I put a washer in there to fill some of the gap and should I get longer bolts?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
alright finally got to em I have about a 1/4" gap between the flexplate and the torque converter mounting holes. I haven't actually measured it but it might be closer to 3/16 It wasn't like that when I removed the old motor. and the bolts which look to be maybe 5/8 or 1/2" are short. Looks like they used red loctite too. So should I put a washer in there to fill some of the gap and should I get longer bolts?

NO! are you sure that the TC is all the way forward? It will move toward the crank as you tighten the converter bolts, if not gently pry it forward. GENTLY, DO NOT FORCE IT!!!!!

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ditto on that! With the converter seated all the way back into the trans there should be a gap between it and the flex plate. As stated, gently wiggle it forward to the plate and install all the bolts with some locktite. In case you don't know, you will need to thread all the bolt in just finger tight first before you tighten them with a wrench, otherwise you may not be able to get the last couple bolts to thread in.

VortecBurb

Reaction score
I was reading on another forum where they said it was normal to have a gap anywhere from .06 to .19 over that and you should use a washer. The torque converter is all the way against the crank. the spacing is at the mounting holes

VortecBurb

Reaction score
Yea I think someone was looking out for me again cause I didn't even fit the torque converter back on the transmission after pulling the old engine. Just goes to show you, you can never do enough research. I heard the clunks and the converter spins freely but I should have made sure the converter was in all the way and measured the snout with the crank before i started putting the new engine in. Torque converter bolt holes are off slightly 1/16" from the flexplate holes. The old flexplate had elongated holes of course the new one does not Manufacturer saved .02 cents by punching a hole rather than punching a custom elongated one

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rotate the flexplate 60 degrees there are 2 sets of holes in a flexplate
I'm used to seeing two sets of holes in a flexplate for mounting the torque converter...but not 1/16" different.

For example, this one has two sets of torque converter holes, but they're way more different than 1/16".
You must be registered for see images attach

This has me stumped.