99 suburban k1500 6 lug drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the pads I purchased a set of the Power Stop Z36-369.

Those any good?

Purchased back on feb 1

This brake job has really taken me a while to complete

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I" would walk those calipers into whatever store you got them from, and ask to see calipers from an extended-cab K1500. If the pistons are bigger on the extended-cab 1500, see if the store will do some sort of "trade" for your existing calipers.

As for the pads, they're brake pads not a wife. You own 'em, might as well use 'em. If you don't like 'em, when they're worn-out, get something different.

Well, ok, that's just exactly like some guys treat a marriage.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nice! Well my seal hasn't popped so thats good. I just put in $200 on the rear brakes so I will ride that bit of play until i can’t. I have the 10 bolt diff so my plan would be to upgrade it to the 14 bolt diff axle in the near future.

Rear brakes are done

I get new rotors on Friday, going to start prepping the wheel well area for cleaning and painting on Thursday.

I ended up going with Detroit Axle rotors, slotted and drilled for $95 shipped. They have a 10 year warranty , if anything happens with them in the first few, ill go with the EBC ROTORS. They weren’t available until April 5th, so i had to make a decision
So personal experience with them but at my other forum, TYF, Detroit Axle does not have a very good reputation. You may never have a problem though.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So personal experience with them but at my other forum, TYF, Detroit Axle does not have a very good reputation. You may never have a problem though.
No personal experience, but I’ve never really heard anything good about Detroit Axle. Since your asking for opinions, I’ll just go back to my first and say get something local.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"I" would walk those calipers into whatever store you got them from, and ask to see calipers from an extended-cab K1500. If the pistons are bigger on the extended-cab 1500, see if the store will do some sort of "trade" for your existing calipers.

As for the pads, they're brake pads not a wife. You own 'em, might as well use 'em. If you don't like 'em, when they're worn-out, get something different.

Well, ok, that's just exactly like some guys treat a marriage.
Just left napa, returned those suckyass jn3 calipers. They do not carry the bigger piston calipers even for the extended cab. Jn3 calipers were popping up.
I also called Auto Zone and OReilys and they don't carry them.

I see the Raybestos on rockauto. Think I’ll go for the reman calipers opposed to new(element3)

Unless i find them local,(calling other stores today)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've said many other times, in several other threads:

I got my larger-piston extended-cab calipers by complete chance, from my favorite Treasure Yard. By total coincidence, that happened to be the truck that was being prepared for the crusher that day, so removing the entire front suspension was no real loss to them. Wasn't until I got the parts home that I realized they were bigger/better than what was on my truck. I had to go back for the master cylinder and booster after I figured-out what was going on.

Pulled 'em apart for cleaning and inspection, put 'em back together, and they've been in-service on my '88 K1500 for many years.
You must be registered for see images attach

"Crust" on the square-cut seal, partially-removed with a fingernail. Seal was otherwise in usable condition.

Going back together with the seals and mounting pieces lubed.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just left napa, returned those suckyass jn3 calipers. They do not carry the bigger piston calipers even for the extended cab. Jn3 calipers were popping up.

Ah! So that explains why (in your earlier post #45) they measured as being so much less than 3" diameter... NAPA stuck you with the JN3 calipers.

I got my larger-piston extended-cab calipers by complete chance, from my favorite Treasure Yard.

Those being the 3" low-drag calipers, if I understand correctly.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I can't say I miss the days of rebuilding calipers. Not that big a deal but is way easier to install a reman unit. Blowing that old piston out was fun when you did it and no one around you expected it. Good times.....