99 suburban k1500 6 lug drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both sides the shoe with the less coverage faces towards the front.

As they should.

These shoes release alot of dust, would the ac delcos not be any better?

I don’t know if they might be better.

I’m accustomed to seeing a lot of dust in drum brakes, and I routinely pull the drums and clean them when rotating the tires. Maybe that’s just me…

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not measure the pistons when I replaced JN3 calipers with JB5/6 calipers. I do not expect that they "neck down" to any significant degree, though. Some, not a quarter-inch.
You must be registered for see images attach

My concern is that with the smallest part of the piston being less than 2 3/4", he's got the tiny-piston JN3 calipers.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this normal for the axle shaft?

This was covered very recently in another thread, now where is it... :think:

oh yeah, here, with very recent posts...

Last edited:

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! Well my seal hasn't popped so thats good. I just put in $200 on the rear brakes so I will ride that bit of play until i can’t. I have the 10 bolt diff so my plan would be to upgrade it to the 14 bolt diff axle in the near future.

Rear brakes are done

I get new rotors on Friday, going to start prepping the wheel well area for cleaning and painting on Thursday.

I ended up going with Detroit Axle rotors, slotted and drilled for $95 shipped. They have a 10 year warranty , if anything happens with them in the first few, ill go with the EBC ROTORS. They weren’t available until April 5th, so i had to make a decision

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unto my Calipers,
I did not measure the pistons when I replaced JN3 calipers with JB5/6 calipers. I do not expect that they "neck down" to any significant degree, though. Some, not a quarter-inch.
You must be registered for see images attach

My concern is that with the smallest part of the piston being less than 2 3/4", he's got the tiny-piston JN3 calipers.
With this being said, what are some recommendations for calipers? I get my rotors on friday and want to purchase a new set of calipers tonight so they’ll be here by then

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unto my Calipers,

With this being said, what are some recommendations for calipers? I get my rotors on friday and want to purchase a new set of calipers tonight so they’ll be here by then

RockAuto.com, check your year and look for calipers for JB5/JB6 brakes. If you click to look on the calipers' specs, you ought to see either "3in" or "76mm" in the specs (if the spec is listed, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).

(edit: After looking myself, it appears the distinguishing factor for the front calipers on RockAuto's site is whether the vehicle has "13in Rear Drum, 8 Lug Wheel" or "11in rear drum"... the 11" rear drum was used on 6-lug Suburbans and employed the 3in / 76mm "low-drag calipers" up front on 11.6" rotors, while the "13in Rear Drum, 8 Lug Wheel" Suburbans employed a larger-bore non-low-drag calipers on 12.5" rotors)

You can buy them where you choose, but RockAuto is a handy place to browse and compare.

I usually buy Raybestos, and reportedly ACDelco is rebranded Raybestos. Barring those, I try to stick with the "name" brands... Bendix, others.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
89joechevy