99 Suburban Curiosity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New at posting on this site, but have an interesting Suburban that has worked out well, in spite of a tidy bit of mods.
Converted to a BB 489, NV3500 manual, NP241, and all is good. Truck is a daily driver, pulls a 6K travel trailer during summer months. Has no issues of consequence. Cruise, AC, 4WD (front diff can be controlled separately)...all work perfectly. Toss a few pics up if I can figure out how?
Converting to a manual isn't especially demanding, but it is a good bit of work. The truck feels like an 8K Camaro. I went with the NV3500 due to shift feel. An NV4500 will bolt in shoud I destroy the lighter 3500. The output on SB V8 4X4 3500 is same as 4500.
Scat rotating assy with KB pistons. 30 over. 9:1 CR. Comp hydraulic roller cam. Vortec 454 core. Used Vortec heads cleaned up. Crank was balanced for stock 502 GM Performance flywheel. I believe there's only one external balance BB flywheel? And, the crank is factory drilled for pilot bearing bore. Had a lot of questions about that.
There's a limit to what can be done if the truck is going to be used for towing. I'm pushing the limit, but no detonation, and good power. The truck was a snail when stock. At least it breathes better now. Albeit, at some cost in fuel. Headers are Gibson. Nice, but not perfect for fit and required a lot of tweaking to install.
Still running the factory fuel pump, set to 3.5 lbs. Also using factory fuel return. Works. Double regulators solved the fuel pressure problem with one bypass, and final deadhead. Fuel pressure never ranges beyone 3.3 to 3.5 lbs
Rock solid fuel ratio sets between 14.0 and 16 at op temps (180*) when held steady on flat ground.
Tach works off the HEI signal. Nothing required to hook up. A lightly breathed on '77 Quadrajet feeds the engine and works great. Not as slick as the EFI during warmup, but once warmed up, puts the EFI to shame. Starts instantly warm. Starts instantly cold too...around 120* it has cold lean issues. 2 minutes running and no problem.
I have lots of pics of various operations...transmission, etc.. If interested, let me know and I'll be too happy to add to the pics.
Considing the the changes made, the vehicle is a total jewel!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: