99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am also putting the suspension back in. I took it apart almost a year ago and failed to take enough pictures. So this weekend I could not get the upper ball joints to fit right. A Haynes manual and even a factory service manual showed the ball joint going on top of the arm. I tried for hours and there is no way that would work on my truck. I remounted a joint on the underside of the arm for a test and it suddenly worked. I watched some youtube videos and saw k2500 and k3500 trucks with it going both ways, so I'm confident that putting it under the arm is right for my truck. It's annoying that even the factory service manual doesn't mention it.

Attachments

• 20231009_171740.jpg
    20231009_171740.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 10

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IT RUNS!!!

I cranked it with the coil disconnected until oil pressure came up, then reconnected the coil. It started instantly. Had to keep it running with the gas pedal for a few seconds, then it settled down and idled at 700, as requested in the tune. I let it run for maybe 3 minutes while I looked for leaks and listened for noises. When I turned it off, the cel light was off. I started it again about 10 minutes later. It seemed to idle a little rough but sounded like it was firing on all 8. When I went to turn it off a few minutes later, the cel was on.

I hooked up my OTC scan tool and told it the vehicle is an 01 2500 van with 5.7L. There were 2 codes - P0200 Injector Circuit, and U1300 "Class 2 communications short to ground". What do you guys know about those?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IT RUNS!!!

I cranked it with the coil disconnected until oil pressure came up, then reconnected the coil. It started instantly. Had to keep it running with the gas pedal for a few seconds, then it settled down and idled at 700, as requested in the tune. I let it run for maybe 3 minutes while I looked for leaks and listened for noises. When I turned it off, the cel light was off. I started it again about 10 minutes later. It seemed to idle a little rough but sounded like it was firing on all 8. When I went to turn it off a few minutes later, the cel was on.

I hooked up my OTC scan tool and told it the vehicle is an 01 2500 van with 5.7L. There were 2 codes - P0200 Injector Circuit, and U1300 "Class 2 communications short to ground". What do you guys know about those?

Years ago after installing bigger injectors I didn't fully seat 2 of them. It spit out specific codes for those 2. I had to yank the plenum back off but sure as shjt those 2 weren't fully clicked. It seems yours can't decide which so it may behoove you to check all 8. Unless there's a power issue? That would affect all 8, but it sounds like only 1 or 2 are being affected if I had to guess. You can run it longer to see if it spits out cylinder specific codes.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A quick google search on the codes suggests the p0200 is a broken or loose injector wire in the loom. The u1300 code is probably cleared after fixing the p0200. There are a couple YouTube vids on the p0200 diagnosis. Glad it fired up, great job

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I hope it's just a connection! Tomorrow I will ohm the injector wires at the ecm connector for continuity before I take off the plenum. I'm relieved really, because it seems like most people have a lot worse no start/run terrible problems with their 0411 swaps.

I have a lot more questions though. How do I know if I need to do the cam position calibration and crank relearn procedures? Somewhere I read that the ecm can't identify a misfiring cylinder until the relearn is done. There is a snapon scan tool that can do the crank relearn, what model is it again? Can't HP tuners do those procedures too? The credit card has recovered from everything else, so maybe it's time to pony up for hp.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for diagnostics, my truck is an 01 express van now. Does anyone have a link to a van service manual?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So for diagnostics, my truck is an 01 express van now. Does anyone have a link to a van service manual?

And don't sweat that it identifies as a 5.7, there's a separate cylinder displacement value that should have been changed to reflect your 454 if you got some sort of base tune and that will have no bearing on what the scanner thinks you have for an engine.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
And don't sweat that it identifies as a 5.7, there's a separate cylinder displacement value that should have been changed to reflect your 454 if you got some sort of base tune and that will have no bearing on what the scanner thinks you have for an engine.

Sounded like to me that he specified that. That's how my scanner is too. It doesn't tell me, I tell it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounded like to me that he specified that. That's how my scanner is too. It doesn't tell me, I tell it.

We-ellll, it seems to me if you tell the scanner it's something it wasn't, some weird stuff may happen? My assumption is that the VIN plays into it to an extent, but since I don't have a Snapon or equivalent to play with I can't say for sure.