99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a continuity test between the +12v pink common wire, C1-19 on the 0411, and each injector pin. It showed open circuit on all 4 of the left side injectors. It didn't run that rough, so it had to be an intermittent problem. Turns out it was a weak connection on the left bank common pin on the injector harness connector. I cleaned it up with a points file and put a little electrical anticorrosion grease on the pins. Perfect! It runs great, the headers make it sound like a hot rod, and the cel went out by itself.

Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a Taylor plug wire catalog at my local speed shop, and found they have a distributor boot kit for LT1 and Vortec flat distributors. They fit 8 to 10mm wires. I'm going to redo my wires where I rigged them with stock 7mm boots because they aren't secure enough.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something I have always hated are the bulky, curly loops in the brake lines. Makes everything harder to reach under them. So I took on another full day of work to fix it with ptfe flex brake lines. I turned the threads off of -3 AN nipples and drill the back sides out to take the tube. Then braze them on with copper/silver/phosphorus braze rod. The result is so much better, I wish I thought of it sooner..

Attachments

• IMG_2000.JPG
    IMG_2000.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 22

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone had ABS problems after the 0411 swap? The factory service manual says to bleed the brakes like any normal vehicle, then use a scan tool to cycle the abs so it can be bled some more. But my ABS unit is like a closed valve, no fluid will flow through it for the initial bleed. I borrowed a fancy snapon scan tool and it can't communicate with the abs, and says it's disabled. But fluid is still supposed to flow through it, even if it's disabled. Does the ecm enable the abs? I wrote Black Bear to find out if mine is turned off. But could there be an incompatibility issue between the 97 abs and the 2001 0411? It seems to me that my other chevys make a little noise from the abs box when you first turn on the key. I can't remember if my 97 did that before, but that's not happening now. I'm about to go back to plan A, which was to take it out and put in an adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone had ABS problems after the 0411 swap? The factory service manual says to bleed the brakes like any normal vehicle, then use a scan tool to cycle the abs so it can be bled some more. But my ABS unit is like a closed valve, no fluid will flow through it for the initial bleed. I borrowed a fancy snapon scan tool and it can't communicate with the abs, and says it's disabled. But fluid is still supposed to flow through it, even if it's disabled. Does the ecm enable the abs? I wrote Black Bear to find out if mine is turned off. But could there be an incompatibility issue between the 97 abs and the 2001 0411? It seems to me that my other chevys make a little noise from the abs box when you first turn on the key. I can't remember if my 97 did that before, but that's not happening now. I'm about to go back to plan A, which was to take it out and put in an adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve.

So you're trying to bleed brakes like a normal non-ABS car and you have no fluid flow? How are you bleeding? Fluid should flow regardless of the methodology. I know that Snapon scanner will identify the truck as a van or whatever it started life as, so you may try telling the snappy that you're a 97. Even still, you should be able to purge fluid no problem.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know, it's supposed to flow through whether its working or not.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I hope it's just a connection! Tomorrow I will ohm the injector wires at the ecm connector for continuity before I take off the plenum. I'm relieved really, because it seems like most people have a lot worse no start/run terrible problems with their 0411 swaps.

I have a lot more questions though. How do I know if I need to do the cam position calibration and crank relearn procedures? Somewhere I read that the ecm can't identify a misfiring cylinder until the relearn is done. There is a snapon scan tool that can do the crank relearn, what model is it again? Can't HP tuners do those procedures too? The credit card has recovered from everything else, so maybe it's time to pony up for hp.
in my experience, the CMP can be off quite a bit from the 0 +/- 2* @ 1000 rpm’s before it will throw the P1345 error code, so you’ve got it in pretty close. But, that is an easy one to dial in with a scanner.

BlackBear 0411 install notes say you should do the relearn with a new 0411, but you’re not getting an error, maybe you’re good. I know if the crank sensor is bad, it will run like crap. I can’t help with the relearn, my black box tune from them didn’t require it. I’ve seen guys here use HP, dash command, tech2 maybe for the relearn too. it sounds like you’ve got it running good enough to get to a nearby shop with a snapon tech to check both.

share some audio of the headers.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I will buy an HP setup. Any advice on where to buy it?

I got the brakes bled pretty well. The pedal goes fully firm just a little closer to the floor than normal. I should be able to drive it on dirt and make it lock up to cycle the abs and pass the last bit of air. Well assuming the abs will work. I'm not sure.

Otherwise I'm still putting things back on. Yesterday I got the front driveshaft in, swaybar on, right front fender on.. Then I couldn't find the antenna base and plastic trim on the lower front corner of the right fender. And I'm missing a bunch of inner fender screws. WTF! I'll find them in a week or so, but i went to a wrecking yard today anyway and got what I need. Just have to repaint the white trim piece black.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drove it today! One year to the weekend after I started taking it apart. It rides like a new truck, with all new suspension, steering, shocks. No cel, so apparently it doesn't need the crank and cam position relearn. Engine runs great and finally sounds like a healthy engine, like it has compression and a normal cam (it does, now...). The headers and pipes make that hot rod 'shwinngg' sound. The pull off idle is tons better, even just 1/10 throttle. The trans shifts are just a little firm, as I requested in the tune. Black Bear nailed it. I'm going to drive it in traffic for a few hundred miles before I get on it and before I take it in for emissions. There is no smoke and the exhaust smells clean, so it should ace the drive cycle test. I hit the brakes on dirt and the abs even works! I feel like I won the lottery..

Attachments

• 20231104_151540.jpg
    20231104_151540.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 17

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Evacuated and charged the ac yesterday. The new evap core actually flows air. Drove it to the fiancée's house, taking it to work tomorrow and getting it aligned. Not a single drop of anything has leaked. Everything is tight and quiet, and it runs and drives so good! This may be one of the more successful 0411 swaps, knock on wood, as nothing has gone wrong yet. I can hardly wait to give it full throttle. Stay tuned, it may take a couple weeks to put 300-400 miles on it.

Attachments

• 20231112_171935.jpg
    20231112_171935.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 15