99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I had a tunerpro setup years ago for my obd1 s10 pickup! Can it do the crank relearn and cam retard?
There's nothing to "do". You can use the OBDx tool to read from the PCM and send the data over bluetooth to a phone or computer. The CMP retard PID can be viewed in several different apps like Dash command or torque to get it within the +-2 degrees that you need. I have a knockoff micro adapter and TechII stuff from ebay that I use for stuff like the CASE learn, but there might be another way using the OBDx tool and a different program.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not get Torque Pro to read CMP but i did not try to hard. My tool of choice was Dash Command with the extra GM PID.
Now i have a Snapon scanner ill be using.
I do not believe Tunerpro, PCHammer or LSDroid will do a CMP or crank relearn.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok wow, why is it so hard? And how do you know if you need it?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been reading on the tunerpro site, but have more questions than answers. What is the difference between tunerpro and tunerpro rt? Where do I get the data cable?

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in my experience, the engine will run with the CMP off by 36*, but you can tell it is not running it‘s best and it will set the cel. this was because I installed the new dizzy gear 180 off. was able to dial that back in at a nearby shop that had a scan tool in short order. another time, I swapped the crank sensor, for no good reason, it really ran like crap, put the original back in and all was good. don’t remember if that set the cel light.

maybe these guys that have swapped 0411 and black box back and forth can share engine reaction on startup and if you can hobble to a shop with a scan tool and knowledge to do CASE relearn

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in my experience, the engine will run with the CMP off by 36*, but you can tell it is not running it‘s best and it will set the cel. this was because I installed the new dizzy gear 180 off. was able to dial that back in at a nearby shop that had a scan tool in short order. another time, I swapped the crank sensor, for no good reason, it really ran like crap, put the original back in and all was good. don’t remember if that set the cel light.

maybe these guys that have swapped 0411 and black box back and forth can share engine reaction on startup and if you can hobble to a shop with a scan tool and knowledge to do CASE relearn
I have never noticed any difference performing a CASE relearn except the SES light coming on in some vehicles if it has not been performed. I drove my van for nearly a year with the cam sensor non functional as well. No noticeable difference in the way it ran.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bextreme, I was on the OBDx site last night, but I don't get it. Can't tunerpro read and write to the ecm already? What does the Obdx thing do?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have never noticed any difference performing a CASE relearn except the SES light coming on in some vehicles if it has not been performed. I drove my van for nearly a year with the cam sensor non functional as well. No noticeable difference in the way it ran.

And that is why the 4x 411 LT1 swap is going to happen to my Camaro. Some day. No cam sensor? No problem!

I've always been under the impression that the CASE needs to be performed after a crank position sensor or PCM swap, not necessarily after having the distributor out?