99 CCSB cloth buckets - can the armrests be replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have searched pretty hard but couldn't find anywhere that talked about replacing a sacked out drivers armrest - can it be done?
If it can be done, does anyone know where I can get the grey cloth armrest - live in a small town and no wreckers nearby.
Thanks
Mark

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Armrest on bucket seat? Yes, it does come off the seat, if that's what you are talking about. It's going to be hard to find a decent one though.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Armrest on bucket seat? Yes, it does come off the seat, if that's what you are talking about. It's going to be hard to find a decent one though.
Yes, the folding armrest on the cloth bucket, driver's side - glad to hear they are replaceable. Hope someone comes along who knows where to find one :)
Cheers

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Any automotive upholstery shop should be able to recover the one you have. I wouldn't count on any of those guys to have that factory original fabric in stock.
You can get the material that you need a couple of ways.
From the stealership, but they require a 1 yard minimum purchase. Plus it's stooopid expensive!!!
Or...go to the wreckers & cut the fabric from the band that goes around the sides of a rear seat cushion. It's about the only piece of fabric in the whole truck that'll be long enough.
Wreckers hardly ever sell rear seats. Most people are buying up the buckets & the 60/40's, so those rear seats are plentiful.
I would recommend taking just the armrest + the fabric to the upholstery shop. Not the whole seat. This'll save you some $$$. Let them pull the old cover off & the new one on. They are a beee-atch to pull on. They've got the experience & know-how, too. Not only that, they can repair or replace the foam inside with the proper density required.
It's been a while since I've pulled one of those armrests off. IIRC, the zipper on the bottom side of the backrest has to be undone so that you can reach up inside to push in the spring-loaded pin that retains the armrest. It's in a key-way type of bracket inside the seat. The spring-loaded pin can be pushed in with a punch. Have to push in that pin while pulling/twisting the armrest up & down.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any automotive upholstery shop should be able to recover the one you have. I wouldn't count on any of those guys to have that factory original fabric in stock.
You can get the material that you need a couple of ways.
From the stealership, but they require a 1 yard minimum purchase. Plus it's stooopid expensive!!!
Or...go to the wreckers & cut the fabric from the band that goes around the sides of a rear seat cushion. It's about the only piece of fabric in the whole truck that'll be long enough.
Wreckers hardly ever sell rear seats. Most people are buying up the buckets & the 60/40's, so those rear seats are plentiful.
I would recommend taking just the armrest + the fabric to the upholstery shop. Not the whole seat. This'll save you some $$$. Let them pull the old cover off & the new one on. They are a beee-atch to pull on. They've got the experience & know-how, too. Not only that, they can repair or replace the foam inside with the proper density required.
It's been a while since I've pulled one of those armrests off. IIRC, the zipper on the bottom side of the backrest has to be undone so that you can reach up inside to push in the spring-loaded pin that retains the armrest. It's in a key-way type of bracket inside the seat. The spring-loaded pin can be pushed in with a punch. Have to push in that pin while pulling/twisting the armrest up & down.
Great info - thank you. A few challenges - no upholstery shop where I live, too small :) Regardless, your approach is sound and I'll get started on getting the materials together. Thanks for the remocal technique info - that'll save me a ton of aggravation. Cheers Mark

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are videos on www.theseatshop.com that show how to remove the armrest. YouTube would probably have it as well.

You might call or email them (the seat shop) or Richmond Upholstery (http://leather-auto-seats.com/) and see if they have or can fabricate cloth covers.

If you check eBay for "Silverado armrest covers" you'll see plenty of options in vinyl which mimics what the "leather" equipped seats originally came with. I've used one of those covers before, it looked decent enough so that may be an option if vinyl armrests on cloth seats doesn't bother you too much.

I suspect that the original cloth is glued to the armrest foam, so anything you buy will be a slip-on cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working with the nice folks at the Seat Shop now for some leather slip overs with a new top foam pad:) Cheers and thanks to all.

'Sewlow' just noticed your sig - nicely done!