99 350 vortec rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not any good at diagnosis, but my 350 vortec doesn't idle nicely, cold or warm. It kinda pulses(?) or it seems like it has a cam in a way, If that makes sense. Going down the road if seems to do alright, but as soon as it idles it's not nice. What do you fellas think? IAC, tune up, something else? I can send a video of it running if that helps.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not any good at diagnosis, but my 350 vortec doesn't idle nicely, cold or warm. It kinda pulses(?) or it seems like it has a cam in a way, If that makes sense. Going down the road if seems to do alright, but as soon as it idles it's not nice. What do you fellas think? IAC, tune up, something else? I can send a video of it running if that helps.

Kinda sounds like the IAC but then again how many miles on the motor?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 99 5.7 vortec Burb a couple years ago. Replaced the throttle position sensor, then in a week or so, also replaced the idle air control valve. Fixed the wobbly idle with these 2 parts. Both were original ones, truck had like 180 thousand miles on it then. The plungers on these should have some resistance and springiness to them, neither of the old parts did.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 on what HotWheelsBurban said. Also, if you're going to replace the those sensors in the throttle body anyway. Remove the throttle body, take the sensors out and clean the throttle body completely, I'm sure its kinda nasty anyway. I know if the back side of the thottle blade gets alot of carbon buildup it can cause a low idle situation. Been there before!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 on what HotWheelsBurban said. Also, if you're going to replace the those sensors in the throttle body anyway. Remove the throttle body, take the sensors out and clean the throttle body completely, I'm sure its kinda nasty anyway. I know if the back side of the thottle blade gets alot of carbon buildup it can cause a low idle situation. Been there before!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Alright will do

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 99 5.7 vortec Burb a couple years ago. Replaced the throttle position sensor, then in a week or so, also replaced the idle air control valve. Fixed the wobbly idle with these 2 parts. Both were original ones, truck had like 180 thousand miles on it then. The plungers on these should have some resistance and springiness to them, neither of the old parts did.
This is the IAC, should this thing move in and out? Because it doesn't, and you have to push and pull it real hard for movement either direction.