98 z71 sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was wondering if my sending unit in my truck could be replaced due to the gas gauge moving all the time or is the pump and sending unit one?

Reaction score
Does your gauge's needle kinda of "flutter"-for lack of a better word? I had this occur in my Yukon, I let it go because the pump/sending unit are in the tank. The pump ended up dieing so the whole assembly was replaced, needle still "fluttered". Come to find out it was my gauge cluster that was bad. I replaced this and it cured my bouncy needle blues. I do believe you can get the parts to rebuild the pump/sending unit separately. My suggestion depending on your trucks mileage is to replace the whole fuel pump assembly. These are notorious for failure, you don't want to have it out and repaired and a week later the pump craps out on you.

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah is there any way to pull out the cluster and tell if its the problem or not i only got 124k miles

Reaction score
yeah is there any way to pull out the cluster and tell if its the problem or not i only got 124k miles

I am not sure on how to check them. I found one at the salvage yard that had 1500 more miles on it than mine did. I spent $20 for it and figured it was worth trying. I just swapped it and problem solved. I know you can send your cluster to get fixed, I have seen this for around $200-$250. $20 and 1500 mile difference was a good deal for me to get the problem fixed.

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
but then at the same time you really dont no if it does the same as yours or not thats what i was worried about

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My needle is constantly "vibrating" and it kind of moves in sync with the oil pressure gauge soemtimes. I know its the cluster b/c I have a brand new fuel pump/sending unit

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a cluster sitting on a shelf if you guys need.

Reaction score
but then at the same time you really dont no if it does the same as yours or not thats what i was worried about

I bought the cluster with the intent to do led's and maybe an overlay on the gauges without having to modify my stock one. I used it hoping it would fix my problem. I understand what you mean and I know the feeling throwing parts at a truck hoping you get the right one to solve your issues and then are out $$$$ and have new stuff you didn't need. Your only other option is to have your cluster rebuilt, then you would know it's good forsure. Good luck with the repair and any other questions about removal or replacement just hit me up and I'll try to help ya.