98 z-71 rear axle question??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to tear into my rear axle and replace the bearings. My question is what I'm I going to be getting into as far as taking the chunk out and stuff. It is supose to have a factory locker according to the codes in the glove box and is the larger ring gear of the two. Thanks

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on the "larger ring gear of the two" I am going to assume you have a SF14 bolt with 9.5" ring.

The only rear "specialty" tool you will need to replace the carrier bearing is a gear splitter and some type of press. The Job is actually pretty easy and pretty straight forward. Once you get the carrier out, simply take it to a local machine shop or someone that services axles, have them press off the old bearings, and press new ones on.

Basic break down of the process
remove tire
remove drums
remove diff cover
remove C clips
remove shafts
remove cap bolts
pry out carrier
put together opposite as disassembally

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too add, I assumed your talking about carrier bearings based on the removing the chunk part. Were you refering to the axle bearings.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the bearings. If I'm going into it I'm replacing them all. Someone was tell me that the one with the factory locker was diff than take the bolt out pull the pin then take the c clips off. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade just never been into a 1/2 ton axle

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, the 9.5" 14 bolt in the K1500 did not have a locker, they came with LSD. The CUCV and RPO FF14 in the square bodies had detroit lockers. Someone might want to clarify if I am wrong.

Now it has been a while since I've been into an eaton LSD diff so the intricacies are a little fuzzy but the pin is removed in the same fashion as the open diff. Here is an internet shot of one that I found. I think I can see the indentation for the set screw on the side of the carrier holding the pin in.

edit, wrong pic, that was a 10.5 FF

Last edited:

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
G80 diff in the 14BSF is an Eaton Govloc just like the 10 bolt.

Yes that is what the code says in the glove box if I remember right. So the removel is the same as an open diff?