98 Silverado C1500 G80 Locker Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I need some help with what I have going on! Recently my rear end blew up and it was a 8 1/2 G80 locker in my 1998 C1500. When it came apart the ring gear and pinion were unharmed. So I bought a replacement Eaton G80 locker brand new that was a display unit that was also good for parts and installed all the guts from it into my carrier with it still in the truck. I took it for a test drive and now the locker will lock going around any turn or going down the road in a straight line. I can only get it to unlock if I take a really tight turn then turn back the other way it unlocks. But as soon as I start driving again it locks up (under easy acceleration on pavement). Can any one help with the problem I have, my dad and I are clueless and don't know why its locking up so much. I don't want to drive it and blow up the locker going around a corner from it dragging the tire. Is there a lube that can help the rear end slip a little? I put in Lucas Heavy Duty 80w-90 Gear Lube. Thanks for helping this is my DD!
You must be registered for see images attach

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the springs on the locker engagement assembly. Not sure what the assembly is actually called, but if the springs are broken/weak/missing it will engage very easy and sporadically.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the springs on the locker engagement assembly. Not sure what the assembly is actually called, but if the springs are broken/weak/missing it will engage very easy and sporadically.

Ok, I guess that would make a lot of sense. Now could those springs be a defect if it was brand new for that componet? if so can i replace just those springs?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have the exact opposite problem that I do with my G80s, mine hardly ever want to lock. What's done is done, but personally I would have never put another G80 carrier in there. They're just terrible. As soon as mine grenade I'm going with Detroit Lockers.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright that's what I thought and just wanted to make sure, thanks.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to buy the built 10 bolt from your friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the g80 again because I don't have the money to afford a nice locker that I would like, like a electronic locker of some sort. But I got this new carrier assembly $230

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I figured out my problem, the rear carrier I bought someone ground off the detents on the back side of the ratcheting gear. So that's why it kept on locking up on me. Now the real question is can I just buy that part?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18