98 K1500 doesn’t start during rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
My 96 tahoe did this also, mine turned out to be the ignition coil.
Took a spray bottle with water in it , with truck running i lightly sprayed
Water on different components . Started with distributor then crank sensor when I
Sprayed the coil the truck shut off. New coil on for a year now and always starts in the rain

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Also, make sure the vent on the bottom of the distributor plate is clean

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My 96 tahoe did this also, mine turned out to be the ignition coil.
Took a spray bottle with water in it , with truck running i lightly sprayed
Water on different components . Started with distributor then crank sensor when I
Sprayed the coil the truck shut off. New coil on for a year now and always starts in the rain

Good idea. I need to do that. I don't have issues when it rains, but when I wash the engine compartment, and I never had a problem with that until a year or two ago. It will start right after a washing, but if I shut it down, it won't start again.

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so now I’m going to change out the coil and check the vent. You guys are awesome! Thx again gents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Okay so now I’m going to change out the coil and check the vent. You guys are awesome! Thx again gents.

Why not just spray some water right on the coil and see if it has problems? There's no point in replacing it, if it doesn't fix it. Also the original might be better made than a replacement.

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I planned on doing that first and it actually isn’t a stock coil. I’ve had an aftermarket one in there for about 17 years now. Will update when I do this. More then likely tomorrow weather permitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1996 350 R vortec did that.when I tried to use a aftermarket crab cap and rotor button.

Changed it back too a dealer cap and rotor.the wet day deal went away.