98 K1500 doesn’t start during rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
Missing hood-to-cowl rubber seal?
I've been having the same problem (had started a thread on the same topic a few months ago). Now that you mentioned the cowl rubber gasket, I recall it coming loose and I planed to re cement later. Thanks for the reminder!!!

SuperTramp

Reaction score
Starter engages, but the engine won't run on it's own? That's weird. My guess would be electrical, but if the rain were shorting something out you'd either be blowing fuses or draining your battery... I'd check the circuits for spark and/or fuel delivery. Check your distributor cap, if it's cracked or not sealed well I would imagine that could cause your symptoms.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I've been dealing with this same problem now for a few months and had started a thread, but due to back problems, I haven't been able to crawl up in the engine bay to get to the distributor cap. In the meantime, ... my battery mysteriously drained. I was reminded of this when you mentioned it in your post. I also recall removing my cowl gasket, which I now will cement back in place. Any ideas where I should start when looking for shorts? Thanks in advance.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been a while since I e been on.

Sometimes after a light rain or major rain, my truck won’t start. It’ll kick over but won’t run.
Hours later or the next day it will start.
Any ideas??? Driving me crazy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odds are you have an aftermarket cap and rotor. AC Delco or Delphi when it comes to most electrical componets.

I know this.............

SuperTramp

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I suppose all’s well that ends well; the engine fires up with no problem. Turns out there was a tablespoon of water under the rotor. I dried that up, put on new cap and rotor and replaced my cowl rubber gasket and it’s good for now. I added tiny bit of dielectric grease on the top edge of the bottom exterior plastic of the distributor to try and keep out moisture. This project has gone on for awhile due to pain caused by L5 disc deterioration. Therefore, I used a piece of wood and cushion on the fenders and across the top to make the job of reaching the distributor easier. See pictures... don’t anyone get greedy, I’ve already filed my patent paper work. Anyone have any suggestions for a catchy marketing name? Thanks to all that helped me through this fix.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a piece of wood and cushion on the fenders and across the top to make the job of reaching the distributor easier. See pictures... don’t anyone get greedy, I’ve already filed my patent paper work. Anyone have any suggestions for a catchy marketing name?
Good work on the wet cap, and on the cowl seal.
Ren and Stimpy have already trademarked "Log", and very successfully. May I suggest "Board"?

The Board is Pine!
It's easy on your spine!
Lay it on the fenders of your truck
Good Luck!

...and thanks for the idea. I need to adjust the cam retard on my '97 7.4L, and I had no idea how I was going to get back there to find the hold-down bolt.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm liking the board......
Although when you begin manufacturing under patent, I'd lose the 1x2 lip on the front edge--it's most likely easier on the belly button........

We'll call it the New & Improved EZ Board.

SuperTramp

Reaction score
I'm liking the board......
Although when you begin manufacturing under patent, I'd lose the 1x2 lip on the front edge--it's most likely easier on the belly button........

We'll call it the New & Improved EZ Board.

The 1x2” “v2 upgrade” compensates for the declining curve of the fender and therefore reduces the risk of rolling over into engine bay from lefforts to access hard to reach

SuperTramp

Reaction score
The 1x2” “v2 upgrade” compensates for the declining curve of the fender and therefore reduces the risk of rolling over into engine bay from lefforts to access hard to reach

On the serious side, going from memory, there are 3-5 wires connected to the a plastic plug that accesses the rear of the distributor plate (where the cap is mounted) through a 3-sided square notch. There is some play between the plug and the gap that may be the source of the of water in the cap. My first thought is to wrap the entire cap in a shrink wrap plastic. Any suggestions for a

SuperTramp

Reaction score
On the serious side, going from memory, there are 3-5 wires connected to the a plastic plug that accesses the rear of the distributor plate (where the cap is mounted) through a 3-sided square notch. There is some play between the plug and the gap that may be the source of the of water in the cap. My first thought is to wrap the entire cap in a shrink wrap plastic. Any concerns about this or better suggestions? Thanks. a