98 GMC Crew Cab Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bed was cut for the notch, but the wheel wells are stock. You'll need a slight hump in the bed to allow a big enough notch, my solution was to add another bed floor instead.
For the rear, I measured compressed and extended heights, and then googled shock travel and weights. I think what I'm using are for a Ford truck application. I don't have front shocks, something that will be remedied when I do control arms. It's floaty but not unmanageable.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bed was cut for the notch, but the wheel wells are stock. You'll need a slight hump in the bed to allow a big enough notch, my solution was to add another bed floor instead.
For the rear, I measured compressed and extended heights, and then googled shock travel and weights. I think what I'm using are for a Ford truck application. I don't have front shocks, something that will be remedied when I do control arms. It's floaty but not unmanageable.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I knew the floor would be cut, I didn't think you could get away with the fenders though.
Also, did that later model rear bumper bolt on or did you have to fab some custom brackets, I've been looking at going a similar route but with a 03ish gmc

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I knew the floor would be cut, I didn't think you could get away with the fenders though.
I had to get in the dually fender and trim a piece of metal that was gouging tires, and it may be different if you're running a bigger than stock OD wheel and tire combo, so keep an eye on that if you're thinking about semi's.
Also, did that later model rear bumper bolt on or did you have to fab some custom brackets, I've been looking at going a similar route but with a 03ish gmc
I think you can modify the stockers, do a search on here for a NBS bumper swap, several folks have done it.

Edit: Here ya go.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
When you are fully aired out with the frame on the ground the axle tube is about level or slightly higher than your frame rails?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you are fully aired out with the frame on the ground the axle tube is about level or slightly higher than your frame rails?
Higher than the front, lower than the back, which is why you need the notch.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_160254048.jpg
    IMG_20220724_160254048.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 17

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
@618 Syndicate What size tires are on your 19s? I'm in talks with a guy that selling some, but not sure I'm going to pull the trigger. They need a polish for sure.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
I was re-reading and dig the front inner fender wells, how much higher did you manage to get them than stock by using the trailer fenders? I ask because as you know my tires hit the wells over any significant bump, since with 5/7 drop tires are only about only 2” below them.

with 265/35/22 they are actually stock OD by my calculations so I figured you might have run into the same issue.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was re-reading and dig the front inner fender wells, how much higher did you manage to get them than stock by using the trailer fenders? I ask because as you know my tires hit the wells over any significant bump, since with 5/7 drop tires are only about only 2” below them.

with 265/35/22 they are actually stock OD by my calculations so I figured you might have run into the same issue.
Not sure how much more space we created, I didn't measure from the top to where the stock fenders were attached before I cut them out. On stock diameter wheels and tires you shouldn't have rubbing issues except for occasionally when turning sharp and it's flexing, like turning into a driveway or something. If you're rubbing on bumps driving straight you got something else going on. I've never had that happen on a static 400 dually, and I've had 3 of them.