98' GMC Build (She'll progress faster than most)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been lurking around the forum a lot longer than my join date suggests and I absolutely love these build threads. It’s been a long time in the making, but I thought now would be a great time to start one myself for your enjoyment and introduce myself.

I’m an 18 year old male at the time of this writing, graduated high school last year. Went to college and took a short 3 month heavy equipment operating course. Now I’m working with a huge outfit up in Northern Alberta making loads of money. Please note I won’t be sinking all my money into this truck because I plan on buying property and building a home much sooner than later.

Anyways, I picked up my truck on September 15th, 2011. Bought her from an older gentleman with a heart condition (He was going into surgery and was unsure if he would make it :() so he sold me this truck for $1600 bucks with only 229,000 km on the odometer. From what I understand, I am the 4th or 5th owner of her (and hopefully the last!) She is loaded minus leather and was in great condition for the amount I stole her for. Only cosmetic issues I ran into was the passenger inner door latch needed replacing, drivers mirror needed new glass, the driver’s door needed a new lock (looked like someone tried to steal it), and various burnt out lights and such. Other than that, the truck was nearly mint (apart from both bumpers having small dents in them, and some small rust spots on the tailgate and drivers box, and a faded clear coat on the drivers side :banghead:)

For the most part all of the small cosmetic issues above have been solved within the first few weeks of me owning her. Before I could drive I had to fix up the performance related items which included a complete brake job, a pitman arm, and wheel bearings. (Probably some other stuff I forgot)

Now since I’ve been driving her for about a year and a half now she has obviously seen some upgrades. I didn’t like the stock headlights that came with the unit so I replaced them with some ebay specials (Brand is Spec-D). Bought a chrome Spec-D LED third brake light, and some red ICPW 44-LED tails (Cause chrome and smoke look really tacky imo). I have some amber/white LEDS wired into the park lights, complete with resistors.

For the audio in my truck I have a $400 Kenwood Excelon head unit, some expensive Clarion speakers (with crossovers and separate tweeters), an 8’ bass tube (gets the job done for now), and a crappy 4 channel amp for the speakers that my brother gave me that will probably be replaced someday soon when I get some speakers for the back.

Performance for right now has been a slow progress. First thing I got for her was a drop in K&N filter, and I did the intake silencer delete. I have 2 and ¼ duals running into a dumped Magnaflow (love the sound!)

I picked up some 20’ Boss 304s that are wrapped in 265/50R20 Falken Ziex STZ04s. I run stock rims on 235/75r15 BFgoodriches for winter.

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Future plans? Lots! In no particular order:
- Car starter / Unlocking Device (I went far too long without this!)
- 4 High Headlight Upgrade
- High and Low HIDs (Haven’t decided between 5or 6k, whatever matches my park light LEDs the best)
- A 2/2 drop (Since I plan to tow a small camper with it in the summer months, any lower and it’s difficult for a truck to get around rural Alberta)
- New Chrome (Summarized up is new front bumper, rear bumper, rocker panels, ect from LMC Truck)
- A Chevy Grille with a Phantom Insert
- Debadge and Detrim the body
- Shaved Tail Gate Handle
- Paint (I know someone who will do an excellent job for 2 grand cash, he repaired the hail damage on my dads Duramax)
- A nice set of mud flaps
- A new steering wheel
- And EVENTUALLY I will do a 383 Stroker build. I have all the parts written down, I’m just waiting for the current motor to go (which may take 10 or more years being my luck lol)
- To compliment the 383, a built 4L60E and a beefed up rear end.
If I miss any mods, I’ll be sure to add them to the list.

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Early in January, I was driving home from the city. I pulled over because my water temp gauge said I was over heating. To my astonishment, I had blew my intake manifold gaskets. So those were replaced. Was more of a pain than anything else, because my family doesn't own a garage. I had to get her done out in the cold. I was mostly poor from a combination of not working for 3 months and driving to college everyday for 3 months.

You must be registered for see images attach

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Shortly after the intake manifold gaskets got fixed, my fuel pump dropped out. Worst part of the situation was I was still jobless at the time. No pictures because a fuel pump is pretty generic.

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Just replaced both oil cooler lines and a power steering line due to leaking all over the place! Now that the truck is working at 100%, I can now start to focus on some of the stuff on the list.

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Did the big High and Low HID install today! I chose to go with 6k bulbs. I also picked up the 4-Hi kit, but I have to add an extra length of wire for it to reach my battery. Attached are pictures of where I mounted the ballasts. On the passenger side where the battery is, I had to re route the battery ground to the inner fender well for them to fit nicely! :headbang: As another side note, I'll be opening up a members truck thread soon, and I have to get a better camera because my cell phone isn't cutting it any more.

Last edited: