98 5.0 to 98 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1998 k1500 that I pulled the 5.0 vortec out of due to dead cam bearings from trying to film a hillbilly chevy commercial. I have a rebuilt 97-98 5.7 vortec that I have lifted right above the truck and ready to drop in and bolt up. But I noticed the 5.7 has oil cooler lines coming out of the oil pump/filter... whatever it is. And the 5.0 doesn't. I unbolted the 2 bolts from the 5.0 oil pump and it looks like I can bolt it right in and not have lines coming out, but will that deprive my motor of oil or botch anything up? Where the 5.7 oil pump has lines coming out, it's just solid metal on the 5.0. But it looks like it will bolt up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be talking about the oil filter housing, not pump. You can swap the 5.0 filter adapter onto the 5.7 with no ill effects. The gasket can be found on the help rack at the parts store. Post a pic to be sure. You wouldn't want to run the pump from the old motor.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also swap in the oil cooler from the 5.7. I'm a big fan of oil coolers. You can overheat your motor to the moon and back and it won't seize up. Probably why my old block cracked, but I wasn't left stranded in a construction zone while towing a trailer.

Reaction score
You must be talking about the oil filter housing, not pump. You can swap the 5.0 filter adapter onto the 5.7 with no ill effects. The gasket can be found on the help rack at the parts store. Post a pic to be sure. You wouldn't want to run the pump from the old motor.

Yeah! Yeah! The oil filter housing. That's the blasted thing. I'm going to grab a gasket from Oreillys today and put the 5.0 filter housing onto the 5.7. I also, since the jackanape that took the 5.7 out of the truck for me also took the exhaust manifolds, I'm putting the manifolds off the 5.0 onto it. I want to run the like 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe from the 5.0 for the 5.7, and run it true dual from the manifolds, down 2 1/2 pipe, into 18 inch glass packs and then some 2 and a half running out of them and dumping before the back tires. Would 2 and a half be too little for a 5.7 to properly breath?

Reaction score
You can also swap in the oil cooler from the 5.7. I'm a big fan of oil coolers. You can overheat your motor to the moon and back and it won't seize up. Probably why my old block cracked, but I wasn't left stranded in a construction zone while towing a trailer.

I don't have access to the truck it came out of. I'm going to transfer filter housings, and then put some high mileage pennzoil and a quart of Lucas into the motor. Apparently the motor has been rebuilt, and so I want to use a good oil combo to help counteract the loss of an oil cooler.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah! Yeah! The oil filter housing. That's the blasted thing. I'm going to grab a gasket from Oreillys today and put the 5.0 filter housing onto the 5.7. I also, since the jackanape that took the 5.7 out of the truck for me also took the exhaust manifolds, I'm putting the manifolds off the 5.0 onto it. I want to run the like 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe from the 5.0 for the 5.7, and run it true dual from the manifolds, down 2 1/2 pipe, into 18 inch glass packs and then some 2 and a half running out of them and dumping before the back tires. Would 2 and a half be too little for a 5.7 to properly breath?

2.5" will be fine and give you some room to grow. Under about 350-400 hp 2.25" would not even be too small. Factory 350 in the 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs had less than 2" pipes.

Reaction score
2.5" will be fine and give you some room to grow. Under about 350-400 hp 2.25" would not even be too small. Factory 350 in the 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs had less than 2" pipes.

I had thought so. I do plan on eventually buying some Vortec headers for it, but when I do I'll take the heads off and grind the intake and exhaust ports out til they are to the gaskets, and then use either 2 and a half or 2 3/4s for it. Probably 2 1/2.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might your radiator not have the cooler already?
If not, just connecting the pipe ends together will give some cooling.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Make sure to replace the O-ring on the oil filter housing also, if it's bad it will pump 4 quarts out in short order.

Might your radiator not have the cooler already?
If not, just connecting the pipe ends together will give some cooling.

Whatever you do don't let those 90 degree oil filter adapters get away.