97 non 3rd door rare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I think a 4l80e is in your future many people inluding my self think that the 4l60e dose not belong behind a 350 I have herd stories of of bone stock 4.3s killing them
Yea. Shes my first truck. Gonna run her to build the truck i want. I want a 1993 2500 single cab long bed 7.4.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the 3rd door on extended cab became an option in midyear '97. Seems like that's what I've read from those on here who have ex cab trucks.
@kennythewelder @df2x4 they might know. Kenny has a 97 ecsb and our other moderator has a couple of '97 models.
You got it right. The early 97's were virtually identical to the 96's. Midyear they make changes to interior, front steering, lot's of different wiring/electrical.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You got it right. The early 97's were virtually identical to the 96's. Midyear they make changes to interior, front steering, lot's of different wiring/electrical.
That's what I thought...but since my '97 has FOUR doors I'm not super knowledgeable about the ex cabs. GM sure sold a lotta the ECSBs though, I see them almost every day. Got one at the other end of my block, the last week or so. Got loud pipes, so I hear him coming round the corner. Just like everyone does when we come in....
The neighbors with their new nice quiet cars prolly don't like us much, but I've been woke up plenty of times by someone with a newer diesel truck at 4 or 5am....

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
this is all in fun and games dose not mean any thing but let give you a visualization of 4l60e vs 4l80e
this is a 4l60e
You must be registered for see images attach
and this is a 4l80e
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the plan. In the future but my money flow isnt great so shes good the way she is for now.

Remember that because you have a 4WD truck, you'll need to regear both the front and rear differential if you want to use 4WD.

If your front and rear axles are working fine and aren't rotting away, I wouldn't bother with it. I like my 3.73 gears, but it wouldn't be necessary if you're only using your truck for daily driving like I do.

The only reason why I had my rear axle swapped to a 14 bolt is bc my rear axle was rotting away. 10 bolts aren't great, but they're fine for a stock engine. IDK what engine you have but my 10 bolt mechanically handled my stock Vortec 5700 just fine.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
That's what I thought...but since my '97 has FOUR doors I'm not super knowledgeable about the ex cabs. GM sure sold a lotta the ECSBs though, I see them almost every day. Got one at the other end of my block, the last week or so. Got loud pipes, so I hear him coming round the corner. Just like everyone does when we come in....
The neighbors with their new nice quiet cars prolly don't like us much, but I've been woke up plenty of times by someone with a newer diesel truck at 4 or 5am....
Yea im getting loud pipes here in a month or so. Cant wait. Shes busted at the cats. So its open headers/ manifolds

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Remember that because you have a 4WD truck, you'll need to regear both the front and rear differential if you want to use 4WD.

If your front and rear axles are working fine and aren't rotting away, I wouldn't bother with it. I like my 3.73 gears, but it wouldn't be necessary if you're only using your truck for daily driving like I do.

The only reason why I had my rear axle swapped to a 14 bolt is bc my rear axle was rotting away. 10 bolts aren't great, but they're fine for a stock engine. IDK what engine you have but my 10 bolt mechanically handled my stock Vortec 5700 just fine.
Yea same 5.7 vortec stock no tuning. Only vortec air box delete for a 2" quick cap. Daily driver occasional highway driving.

Attachments

• 20230726_202551.jpg
    20230726_202551.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 3

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969