97 non 3rd door rare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I think you could get a 3rd door in starting in 96 as far as a 3500 drive shaft maybe some one swaped it. if that is the case why not swap in the 6 lug 14 bolt with it by any chance dose any one know why the 3rd door was only offered on 1500s a 2500 3500 gmt400 with a 3rd door would be cool if you ask me any way I guess a cab swap is allways an option
Idk man. But shes beefy. Im 16 17 my first truck . I think im 3rd or 4th owner. 195,000 miles currently.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
My truck has a 3rd door. It has the RPO code E24 which states:DOOR,HINGED SIDE REAR CARGO/SEAT ACCESS. This was a common option to get on 96-99 classic 1/2 tons, but I DON'T believe it was standard.

If you want to find out what features you have, @Caman96 gave me this great website to look up RPO codes. It's free and all you have to do is put your VIN number in

Here's my truck for comparison:

TFL Classics has a video on a 1997 Chevrolet K1500. This option doesn't have the 3rd door.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If you're a history nerd like me, here's a sales video on 1997 Chevrolet C/K Pickups. This video was intended for car salesmen at GM dealers and wasn't meant to be viewed by the public. A bunch of old 90s and 00s videos have been leaked online and it's pretty cool if you're into that stuff. Otherwise, you'll find it boring and dry. They mention how you could get an extended cab pickup with or without the 3rd door depending on what you ordered back when you could order these trucks new.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
My truck has the gmc rpo code. Correct me if im wrong thats a gmc truck thats branded chevrolet out of our 5 obs im the only one thay has the gmc rpo code

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh wow thanks yes im a history nerd lol I was just wondering in my area 2 door extended cabs are about 1 in 10 you dont see em often. But reall question i have is i have a monster size drive shaft. Same size diameter like my dads 95 3500.

Chances are it was likely swapped in with a driveshaft from a donor truck or someone bought a driveshaft online or at a dealer and swapped it in for whatever reason.

With such a large driveshaft, do you have a 14 bolt Semi Float rear axle in your truck? The way to check is either A. look under your truck and count the bolts, or B. Click the link I sent you regarding the VIN lookup and check your RPO codes on there. They're all alphabetical and look for F44 which is the heavy duty package.

I didn't originally have a 14 bolt Semi Float until I had it installed by my Buick GMC shop. It's a great mod to do and they're very strong and reliable. Highly desired by racers and off roaders alike. However, very few shops will do this. I only got mine done out of the good ol' boy system and easily would've been denied had I not been the person I was with the reputation I have. Chances are you'll likely have to do this with a friend or family member helping you out.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Chances are it was likely swapped in with a driveshaft from a donor truck or someone bought a driveshaft online or at a dealer and swapped it in for whatever reason.

With such a large driveshaft, do you have a 14 bolt Semi Float rear axle in your truck? The way to check is either A. look under your truck and count the bolts, or B. Click the link I sent you regarding the VIN lookup and check your RPO codes on there. They're all alphabetical and look for F44 which is the heavy duty package.

I didn't originally have a 14 bolt Semi Float until I had it installed by my Buick GMC shop. It's a great mod to do and they're very strong and reliable. Highly desired by racers and off roaders alike. However, very few shops will do this. I only got mine done out of the good ol' boy system and easily would've been denied had I not been the person I was with the reputation I have. Chances are you'll likely have to do this with a friend or family member helping you out.
No 10 bolt g80 3.42 rear idk ill get a pic tomorrow b4 i go to work. But shes beefy. No f44 i wish but no. Has HD transmission oil cooler. But nothing hd chassis wise.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting thanks. This forum is really helpi g me understand my truck and its history.

Believe me dude, I've been wrenching since late 2018 and I didn't get on this forum until April of this year. I've easily learned 5+ years of car information in the past 3 months. The sooner you can get on this forum and the more involved you are, the better. You're one of the few members who's younger than me (I'm 22) and most people are 2-3x my age. Half of these people have been wrenching 2x my lifespan and they have a vast wealth of knowledge.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Believe me dude, I've been wrenching since late 2018 and I didn't get on this forum until April of this year. I've easily learned 5+ years of car information in the past 3 months. The sooner you can get on this forum and the more involved you are, the better. You're one of the few members who's younger than me (I'm 22) and most people are 2-3x my age. Half of these people have been wrenching 2x my lifespan and they have a vast wealth of knowledge.
Oh wow. Not to much older i love these obs trucks. I bought mine in i believe march. 1,200 bucks with 187,000 man it has 195,000 on it now love that truck. Shes getting straight piped here soon. I cant wait atm she busted at the cat flange shes basically running open headers now. But its my only ride so i have to be careful in town or by the boys in blue. Few close calls lol. Shoot i got work in 6 hrs dang. Im in MD

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I am one of the younger members here at 30 this for has been very helpful with my frank'n truck project that is sadly on hiatus and helped me and some one do a resto-mod on a 99 K-1500 classic ex-cab stepside