97 K3500 lowering front diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think you should go SAS too. The 6V53 weighs 2000 lbs and the IFS will die, repeatedly. You will need to substantially reinforce the frame and you will need 19.5 wheels and tires. A 3500HD or 4500 would handle this better.
The engine I have is made from aluminum, except for the heads and the rotating assembly. The exhaust manifolds I made are from sheet metal, I'm using a serpentine drive and the starter is a reduction gear job so everything is geared toward lightness of weight. I figure this setup will be equivalent to a bb Chevy and a snowplow up front.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine I have is made from aluminum, except for the heads and the rotating assembly. The exhaust manifolds I made are from sheet metal, I'm using a serpentine drive and the starter is a reduction gear job so everything is geared toward lightness of weight. I figure this setup will be equivalent to a bb Chevy and a snowplow up front.
I still, though, have not ruled out an sas. I was just hoping to retain my abs, etc., but I may have to wave bye-bye to that stuff.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Weights I am seeing for this engine vary from 1200 with all aluminum everything to 1900 with cast iron, so I suppose it can be done. Keep in mind that snowplows do tear these trucks up and it will still be heavier somewhat that a BBC snowplow combo. You will require some sort of industrial transmission that will be much heavier than a 4L80E as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Weights I am seeing for this engine vary from 1200 with all aluminum everything to 1900 with cast iron, so I suppose it can be done. Keep in mind that snowplows do tear these trucks up and it will still be heavier somewhat that a BBC snowplow combo. You will require some sort of industrial transmission that will be much heavier than a 4L80E as well.

A lot of times people use one of the smaller Eaton manuals. An Allison of some type would work too. He has options. The problem with the GM autos is that they don't make enough pressure at the rpms most diesels work at to adequately lock up the clutch packs, from what I've read on 4btswaps.

Last edited:

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet it's something stupid like a Cat 3208.

A lot of times people use one of the smaller Eaton manuals. An Allison of some type would work too. He has options. The problem with the GM autos is that they don't make enough pressure at the rpms most diesels work at to adequately lock up the clutch packs, from what I've read on 4btswaps.
Almost as stupid---a Detroit 6V53

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Almost as stupid---a Detroit 6V53

Sorry, I'll edit that.... I already knew that. I started writing about the cat a few days ago, and decided not to post it, but forgot to delete it before posting about transmissions..... I'd never call a Detroit 2-stroke stupid. I actually owned one for about a month a few years ago. Sometimes I wish I didn't see that truck, but it was too big... had air brakes, too.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I'll edit that.... I already knew that. I started writing about the cat a few days ago, and decided not to post it, but forgot to delete it before posting about transmissions..... I'd never call a Detroit 2-stroke stupid. I actually owned one for about a month a few years ago. Sometimes I wish I didn't see that truck, but it was too big... had air brakes, too.
No prob at all.
About 20 years ago, I put a 4-53 in a square body Suburban. Worked out pretty well; wasn't too peppy and I kind of rushed the job, but it was really economical---got 23 mpg in a lifted-up 4wd 'Burb. This time around I'm using a six-speed ZF and I'm taking my time trying to think things through 'cause I want to end up with a daily driver. That's part of the reason I want to retain my IFS and the abs; my wife will drive this from time to time and don't want her to hate it.