97 K1500 Water Temp Problems... Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Need some help guys. Truck started doing this ~ 2 days ago. Thinking thermostat or waterpump. Watch the vid, I explain it pretty well. If you have any more questions, post em up and I'll answer what I know. Going to try to pull it in the shop tomorrow to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdso_-H9P5M

NOTE: It keeps going back and forth like this... Will warm up, then cool way back down, warm up, then cool down. Keeps doing this. Has a slight coolant smell when outside of the truck. Didn't see any coolant spilling out, and levels looked fine. But will check better tomorrow.

Ladyzm18

Reaction score
Mine did that turned out to be intake gaskets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
With you losing heat, It sounds like your coolant level is low. When the stat is closed, air gets trapped in the heater core, when it opens, coolant flows through the core. Plus you said there is a coolant smell outside the truck. I'd pressure test the cooling system, find the leak and repair it.