97 K1500 DD/Overlander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
How about this, for a solution to your frame problem ?
Thanks, but not really looking to tub it. The initial build plan was for an overloading/off-road style use. That means tall and skinny tires. Breifly considered a solid-axle front conversion, if and possibly a custom flat bed. Now I'm starting to rethink it (I'll post in a bit on this).

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
So, not much done to the truck recently. After thinking about things for a while, I decided to look at what I need (more than want). I need:
  1. Something capable of towing my Jeep and gear for off-road trips (Jeep, gear and trailer are ~8500lbs). Ideally a modern 3/4 ton or 1 ton, preferably diesel.
  2. A more economical daily driver that could double for light overland duty (XC70, XC90, small SUV, etc.) I can always rent a truck for a few days [relatively cheaply] to tow the Jeep, as I might need to do that 2-3 times a year at most.
Sadly I just don't have the parking spaces or funds to do both. Either way, this truck doesn't meet either. So I think I may sell it and look for something else. Anyone looking?

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Side note: The OBDLink MX+ can not read ABS codes from a '97 model. It can do a few 'advanced' MFG codes, but definitely not ABS. Can't justify a $140 basic code reader at the moment. Ended up sending it back to amazon yesterday, as I can't test it with the Jeep and the return window was up on the 2nd.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
Listed the truck for sale, had a few inquiries but really haven't been actively trying to sell it.

Figured I should address a few basic maintenance tasks while the weather was nicer. Pulsing in the brakes...should be a realitively easy fix. Ordered a basic set of AC Delco pads and rotors from Amazon [$77.36].

Right before the order arrived, I put the left side on a stand and had the wheel off...to find out the 3/8 hex bit wasn't in my tool bag, and Amazon shipped one incorrect rotor as well (someone added a 'new item' label with my part number on the wrong box). Waiting on the correct one now, as well as a few 'missing' tools to make things easier.

RUNNING TOTAL: $5676.15

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
The other rotor and the tools I ordered came in, so time to take the front brakes.

Last edited:

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
02.11.2024 (cont...)

Everything came apart relatively easily, which is a bit surprising as crusty as it is. The old pads weren't horrible, but definitely close enough to warrant replacement without feeling guilty.

Pretty sure this might be why that ABS light is on...the shroud on both sides is long gone and the wire on the passenger's side definitely has a "little damage" to the insulation. Need to decide if I'm going to order new hubs, or gamble and just replace this one sensor. I did take a wire brush/chisel/BFH to the surfaces and removed the scale and loose junk. Need to get some converter and paint on everything, but that can wait for the sensor replacement.

Last edited:

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
Why anyone would choose to live in a region that results in such rust is beyond me. That is truly a disgusting sight. Poor, GMT-400. :(
Some people don't have a choice, for a variety of reasons. I've definitely become accustomed to living outside the 'rust belt'. After 20+ years, almost forgot how much FUN (dripping with sarcasm) dealing with it was.

While the use of road salt is a major problem, the more significant one is lack of basic maintenance and care (i.e. routing washing). From what I can gather, the original owner of this truck was an older farmer who just didn't have time to do either (it seems). A simple yearly application of fluid film would have done wonders to prevent this.

Our old 'family truck' (88 C1500) has significantly less rust than this one, even with a definite lack of washing over the past 20 years. The original owner of that truck had the full Ziebart application done immediately after driving off the dealer lot. We generally gave it a good cleaning after any big snows, although it also spent most of those days parked in the driveway (severe traction deficiency). While the cab corners are gone, by and large it's in ok shape for how hard of a life it's had. Frame is just now starting to show some minor surface rust, as the coating are almost gone.

I just grabbed a gallon of fluid film to use on the rest of the '97s frame and underside. I'll probably use the rest of that gallon on the frame and underside of the `88 as well.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I presently reside in Tennessee, I previously resided in Arizona and California. Therefore, seeing that amount of rust is truly breathtaking. :eek: