97 C2500 6-Lug to 8-Lug Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Rear axle shafts or whole axle need to be swapped? Front calipers needs be replaced as well or old ones should work? I have 1995 c2500 2wd truck with 6 lugs. I will be starting to convert it to 8 lugs this weekend.

If both trucks are C2500 (not K2500, axles are different lengths), AND the 8 lug truck is not a full floating axle (large hubs with 8 bolts on the ends) then you could just swap the axle shafts. However, it would be far easier to swap the entire rear end as a single piece.

For the front you'll be changing everything. Control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers.

Rear axle will need to be swapped as a 2500LD 6 lug rear end is 9.5", whereas the 8 lugger is 10.5".

Not all 8 lug rears on 2500's are 10.5".. they came both ways, 9.5" SF and 10.5" FF, it seems most of the SF's I've seen are on pre-Vortec trucks.

Richard

Yazmasaud

Reaction score
If both trucks are C2500 (not K2500, axles are different lengths), AND the 8 lug truck is not a full floating axle (large hubs with 8 bolts on the ends) then you could just swap the axle shafts. However, it would be far easier to swap the entire rear end as a single piece.

For the front you'll be changing everything. Control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers.

Not all 8 lug rears on 2500's are 10.5".. they came both ways, 9.5" SF and 10.5" FF, it seems most of the SF's I've seen are on pre-Vortec trucks.

Richard
Truck has 5.7. found two axles for a good deal but don’t know which one I should go with, one has 3.73 and other has 4.10?
3.73 axle is out of k2500 is that going to be an issue?
leaf springs and drive shaft needs to be replaced too?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Truck has 5.7. found two axles for a good deal but don’t know which one I should go with, one has 3.73 and other has 4.10?
3.73 axle is out of k2500 is that going to be an issue?
leaf springs and drive shaft needs to be replaced too?
Bro you should really start your own post. The original is about converting a C2500 6 lug to 8 lug. We don't even know for sure what all you are working on and if it's 2WD, 4WD, etc. and what your goals are.

Richard