97 3500\350 5 speed is a dog.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dthreat

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just started running this truck as my welding rig. It's a single cab but it's heavy. Full skirted welding bed sa-200 welding machine and tools. So probably in the range of 4000 lbs loaded on it. Id like to get some more power without going over board. I know motors and what could be done but I'm not pulling the motor out to build it. So, will pulling the fan and putting an electric fan make much difference. It has headers into true duals but then they put glass packs and dumped it before the axle. I'm thinking a two into one magnaflow or something and then run it on out the back. CAI and a chip? I'm not sure what's available as far as tuning these motors. I havn't had one of these trucks since about 2000 or so. Been into diesels.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dustin.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing you mentioned that's worth doing is a tune. Justin at Blackbear Performance can get you a good mail order tune that will help wake the truck up, but since you're used to diesels I doubt you'll ever be happy with the 350 in a rig that heavy.

Dthreat

Reaction score
Thanks man. I don't need it to be a speed demon or pull like a diesel. Just a little more get up and go.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's a good bit of torque locked away in the stock tune, I'd put that at the top of the list. Timing can be brought in sooner, TM deleted, shift times shortened, speedo corrected, electric fans added, etc. I did an efan on my 1500 and it didn't change a thing for acceleration. When I did it to my 88, there was a noticeable difference. AC blows colder at a stop, that's the only reason I switched. At speed the engine driven fan will pull A LOT more air than an efan. Being a 1 ton, I'm guessing it already has 4.10 gears?

JavaMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hauling weight like that, if you're in a hot environment do not switch to efan. They do not pull enough air to stay cool while pulling weight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dthreat

Reaction score
Yes it gets hot down here in the summer. Carlsbad NM and into West Texas is where I'm working. But 115 last year. So no e fan, got it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2, leave the intake alone (or if you just have to buy one, get a Volant) and get a tune. Considering you already have a full exhaust you'll definitely feel a difference immediately.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to say regear rear end, but like already mentioned, you already have 4.10s being a 3500. Is it a C3500 or K3500? Dually? Are you running stock tires? Hopefully not running huge tires, otherwise 5.13s. I think that's the highest on the 14 bolt?

4,000 lbs is a lot of weight. I bet you are close to being at the payload limit. These heavy trucks are just not super fast compared to newer trucks with diesels. A tune is what I would do.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man...dead stock (engine/tune) and with super-heavy Frito van 19.5's on my old 98 crew cab C3500 and the weight of a wrecker unit, that sucker still had plenty of scoot - of course it was a 7.4. When I saw "3500" "350" and "dog" in the title, my immediate thought was.. "Yup..."

Richard

rcm9364

Reaction score
Yeah, if it’s a 3500 it came with a 4.10 but my book lists a 4.56 option as well.

And the MW3 standard transmission (Only standard available on heavy duty) is effectively a 4 speed/3speed w/overdrive. I have a 3/4 ton 350 with MW3 and 3.73 rear end. I suggest not using first gear if you’ve been doing that. Starting in 2nd and letting it rev pretty high in 2nd and 3rd gets me up pretty quick. 3rd, with the 3.73, gets me all the way up to 75 mph if I want to/need to rev it that high.