96 K1500 - Diesel Option??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
as far as a value, being that it does not have the weak 506 block in that year and probably has the better 141 casting, and will have the second best turbo with the gm-5, with how clean it looks and only being a 1/2 ton s code 6.5 i would say no more than 5k for it and even that may be really pushing it with potential trans issues.

i would suggest changing to the 97 and newer air cleaner, ho water pump and to the 9 blade fan, all the earlier 6.5 had issues cracking the block in the #8 cylinder due to the extra heat back there and could use all the extra cooling it could get, i would also relocate the pmd on a heatsink to behind the bumper.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Also, rip that junk turbo out and replace it with a batmowheel. You'll get higher boost pressures and a more reliable turbo.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Also, rip that junk turbo out and replace it with a batmowheel. You'll get higher boost pressures and a more reliable turbo.
the 6.5 cannot handle higher pressures, it defuels over 10 psi and blows gaskets at 15, anything over 10 starts really climbing egts anyway and could lead to a melt down, these motors were built for fuel economy not for heavy towing or really any power.

this truck has a high mile motor, not exactly the best choice of one to raise boost on.
the gm-x series turbo is not bad and he has one of the better ones, if it was a gm-1 or gm-3 or even a gm-4 i would suggest upgrading to a gm-8 or at least the gm-5 it should have that year.

the a-team turbo would be a nice upgrade or there are some holset hybrids being used but there again the motor needs some help to handle that and its still a half ton so it can only do so much

Last edited:

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
the 6.5 cannot handle higher pressures, it defuels over 10 psi and blows gaskets at 15, anything over 10 starts really climbing egts anyway and could lead to a melt down, these motors were built for fuel economy not for heavy towing or really any power.

Just an aftermarket turbo won't add that much psi, it SHOULD stay in the engines parameters, if ordered for that engine. And it will perform better than the junk stock turbo, while sounding like someone is under the hood blowing 10 whistles.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
this truck has a high mile motor, not exactly the best choice of one to raise boost on.
the gm-x series turbo is not bad and he has one of the better ones, if it was a gm-1 or gm-3 or even a gm-4 i would suggest upgrading to a gm-8 or at least the gm-5 it should have that year.

the a-team turbo would be a nice upgrade or there are some holset hybrids being used but there again the motor needs some help to handle that and its still a half ton so it can only do so much

Yeah, I mild or stock turbo is better for the engine itself, but who wants that? lol. I do get what you're saying.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Yeah, I mild or stock turbo is better for the engine itself, but who wants that? lol. I do get what you're saying.

its nothing like other diesels its pretty fragile and cant handle the same things the cummins or powerstroke can, its a idi diesel and the standard diesel principals do not apply to these unique engines without destroying them

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
its nothing like other diesels its pretty fragile and cant handle the same things the cummins or powerstroke can, its a idi diesel and the standard diesel principals do not apply to these unique engines without destroying them

Eh, I've worked a little on fords idi, but never took much interest in them.

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Definitely existed, like the 6.2 diesel there were two different vin codes for 6.5s one was the light duty 6.5 (1/2 ton) and the other was the heavy duty (3/4 1 ton). The light duty was slightly detuned so it got better mileage and did not tear up the half ton driveline. The 1500 pickups and blazers with the 6.5 used the regular 1/2 ton driveline package with six lugs, while the 6.5 1500 Suburbans used the 3/4 ton eight lug driveline with lighter springs and GVW.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Definitely existed, like the 6.2 diesel there were two different vin codes for 6.5s one was the light duty 6.5 (1/2 ton) and the other was the heavy duty (3/4 1 ton). The light duty was slightly detuned so it got better mileage and did not tear up the half ton driveline. The 1500 pickups and blazers with the 6.5 used the regular 1/2 ton driveline package with six lugs, while the 6.5 1500 Suburbans used the 3/4 ton eight lug driveline with lighter springs and GVW.

the F code and S code 6.5 are the same motor internally for the same years, the s code used in 1/2 ton pickups and yukon has a egr system, the f code does not have that, a 1/2 ton could run the f code intake without egr but the ecm needs to be reflashed or replaced with the f code ecm.

the tuning between the two is all in the ecm and is really not all that different, the 1/2 ton could easily handle the f code tune, the reason for the s code was just govt emission regulations for 1/2 ton that the 3/4 ton did not have, had nothing to do with parts strength

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Honestly know more about the 6.2s which were identical between vin codes except for the injection pump and injectors, thanks for the corrections on the 6.5