Transmission Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayhawk

Reaction score
It looks like my transmission on my 97 2 Door Tahoe K1500 is on the way out, got some pretty bad sounds coming from it now. No slipping, but based on the suddenness of the noise, from my research it sounds like the sun shell is cracked. Any suggestions for a shop in the Miami area? I'm leaning toward a reman, but not sure who to go with. The truck is basically all stock, and I do some occasional towing with it. Truck has 250k miles on it, although the engine was replaced at 200k by the previous owner.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like my transmission on my 97 2 Door Tahoe K1500 is on the way out, got some pretty bad sounds coming from it now. No slipping, but based on the suddenness of the noise, from my research it sounds like the sun shell is cracked. Any suggestions for a shop in the Miami area? I'm leaning toward a reman, but not sure who to go with. The truck is basically all stock, and I do some occasional towing with it. Truck has 250k miles on it, although the engine was replaced at 200k by the previous owner.
Do you have any pick n pulls in your area?
If so, go grab one for a few hours work and a few hundred bucks.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pick n pulls in your area?
If so, go grab one for a few hours work and a few hundred bucks.
I'd not advise anyone to do this unless they planned on going though the unit. They are invariably bad or on their last legs.

If you purchase a good used trans from a salvage yard over the counter with a warranty you'll have a higher likelihood of it lasting a decent amount of time. Pick and pulls usually last a few months at most and 4L60Es typically run between $175-$250 w/a 30 day warranty vs $300-$500 otc w/a six month warranty from a salvage yard.

Look for some local shops with good reviews and call them up. Ask them exactly what they do with the transmission (parts installed, procedures performed, etc).

At min, they all should come with:
- full cal kit (paper/rubber/frictions/bonded steel-rubber apply pistons/band/filter)
- 3-4 steels (others if need be)
- all bushings replaced
- new input sprag
- new heat treated sun shell
- sonnax LB 4l60e boost valve
- new accumulator pistons
- sonnax wide rear sun gear bushing
- all new oem/rostra harness and solenoids
- torque converter
- pump vanes/rotor guide

Procedures:
- resurface pump castings w/pump body rotor/guide pocket remachined
- reverse input drum remachined or replaced with new one
- fwd drum pressure tested for leaks at the base of the input shaft
- front end play set between .015-.025

rayhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Down here, I have very little confidence that I can find a qualified rebuilder, but I'm going to call around as suggested. I know the remanufactured units are no guarantee either, but I'm leaning in that direction. My neighbor recommended a Jasper, not sure if that is a good option? I know they are not cheap.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got some pretty bad sounds coming from it now
Any chance to describe what these sounds are?

Thanks for the suggestions. Down here, I have very little confidence that I can find a qualified rebuilder, but I'm going to call around as suggested
Anyone here have any online recommendations?

There are some built ones here that seem like a good price that includes shipping core back afaik..but idk..

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Down here, I have very little confidence that I can find a qualified rebuilder, but I'm going to call around as suggested. I know the remanufactured units are no guarantee either, but I'm leaning in that direction. My neighbor recommended a Jasper, not sure if that is a good option? I know they are not cheap.
Jasper is "ok" but you can def do better with a knowledgable shop.

There are some built ones here that seem like a good price that includes shipping core back afaik..but idk..
Dana at Probuilt is one of foremost experts in the country on the 700r4-4L60E so anyone having him rebuild their transmisson will be in good hands.

rayhawk

Reaction score

It sounded kind of like trying to engage the starter with a running engine. Like a high speed metal collision. Under really light load, I could avoid the noise about 50% of the time, but if I accelerated at a normal pace, it started making noise. I was 35 miles from home when it happened, but once I got on the highway, it was fine the rest of the way home. From the 4l60e info thread, I'm assuming it's a broken sun shell.

rayhawk

Reaction score
OK, so I took it to a trans shop today, and the mechanic swears it is not the transmission. He says he has heard this type of sound before, it is engine related. Maybe a cracked exhaust manifold? Check out this montage of weird sounds:

Tahoe mystery noise

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I took it to a trans shop today, and the mechanic swears it is not the transmission. He says he has heard this type of sound before, it is engine related. Maybe a cracked exhaust manifold? Check out this montage of weird sounds:

Tahoe mystery noise
Get underneath and into the engine bay while the engine is running (take all necessary safety precautions) with a mechanics stethoscope to see if you can pinpoint source of the noise. If it was your transmission, you'd likely know it by now, assuming it's been happening for hundreds or even thousands of miles...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
eesh....banging sounds like it could be rear end.... Never heard that grinding/buzzing before......

get off the road..gawd