96 Impala SS wheels advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not even close. Those are front wheel drive cars with smaller wheels (I think they're 16's?) and the bolt pattern is different, backspacing is way different, etc.

Richard

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
Not even close. Those are front wheel drive cars with smaller wheels (I think they're 16's?) and the bolt pattern is different, backspacing is way different, etc.

Richard

Damn, I was hoping finding those would be cheaper. odd that they have the exact same design

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just installed a set of impala ss wheels that i restored, on my '96 shortbed. its currently lowered 6'' in the rear, and only 2'' in the front, but will be lowering the front a bit more, of course. standard diameter tires, the trucks came with, were 28 inch. i wanted to fill the wheelwells slightly more, looks-wise, so i mounted in-expensive ebay 29'' tires front and back, on the ss rims. they look & fit great. also wanted to research & choose tires sizes that would require no wheel well lip trimming, which i have accomplished thus far. i had the local tire shop mount the the tires to the rims and not balance them with the usual lead balancing weights. instaed i bought balancing beads and introduced the appropriate amount of them to each tire assembly through the new valve stems i bought on ebay. they worked out good as well. the front tire size is 235/65/17. the rears are 255/60/17, which tuck really nicely, no rubbing. can't wait to lower the front slightly more...

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the ss wheels bolt right on to our c1500 trucks with only minor mods. first i used a straight small router bit on a router, to take off the very minor aluminum lip, that is on the backside centers of the wheels, so that all four wheels could be bolted onto any of the four corners of the truck in the future. this is necessary because the center hole of the rims are just a hair too small because of that minor edge, or lip. comes off really fast & easy & clean with a small hand-held router & bit.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so i thought i was all done with the back of the wheel, hole size wise. the rears bolted up no problem. the fronts still had a minor rocking back & forth center hub too small issue. again, it was minor. so i put a very small rounding-over radius bit in the same router and removed the edge of the inside bore on the back of each wheel, which took all of ten minutes, an they went right on perfectly flat. no problems...only solutions...lol... hope this info helps someone.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a little confused on what you had to modify on the wheel as I had no issues at all putting them on a '92 C1500 ECLB. Just put 'em on and done.

Richard

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...all i can say is...on thinking back...is that your brake rotors center outside diameter must be a hair smaller in diameter than mine were/are. can't recall for sure, but i believe i replaced my brake rotors during a front brake job. they were just new stock size rotors, nothing fancy, but maybe the outside diameter of the replacement brake rotors is a smidge larger than the original factory ones i took off, disallowing the wheel to seat all the way down/in. only thing i can think of. in retrospect, i guess i could have removed the rotors & ground off/beveled/radiused the steel center hub outside diameter of the rotor itself slightly. my idea worked for me and it was super quick & easy...

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...again, this was only on the front fitment. the rears were not an issue. they snugged right up. i also want to mention that on my front, i have 2'' drop spindles. now going to do 1 or 2" springs up there. I also don't care about the speedo being "off" a couple miles per hour. could care less. in fact, i dont even have a speedo that works, ever since i installed the all aluminum 5.7 LS1 engine & trans years ago. someday i will hook it up...lol...

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
...all i can say is...on thinking back...is that your brake rotors center outside diameter must be a hair smaller in diameter than mine were/are. can't recall for sure, but i believe i replaced my brake rotors during a front brake job. they were just new stock size rotors, nothing fancy, but maybe the outside diameter of the replacement brake rotors is a smidge larger than the original factory ones i took off, disallowing the wheel to seat all the way down/in. only thing i can think of. in retrospect, i guess i could have removed the rotors & ground off/beveled/radiused the steel center hub outside diameter of the rotor itself slightly. my idea worked for me and it was super quick & easy...
Maybe.. hard to know without all-original parts in hand to compare. When I got my '92 it already had 170K miles on it! No telling what had been done to it already. I wouldn't be surprised if what you ran into though were rotors not made 100% to OEM spec. It happens. I ran into this recently when putting Raybestos rotors on my '93 C3500 dually; the stupid bearing dust caps don't fit. They're too loose in the bore (bore ID slightly too large) and also the depth of the bore is too shallow for them to seat. Really annoying, especially on a dually rotor where you don't have easy access to see/work with the issue since that area is recessed into the "spacer" section of the hub.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard