96 Impala SS wheels advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
I'm looking to run a set of 17" Impala SS wheels and I just wanted a few things cleared up for me. I've heard the bolt pattern is slightly off, can adaptors be run? I dont want my wheels to poke out of the fenders, I'm not a huge fan of that look, what spacing do I need (basically what size adaptor will work). My truck is a 94 C1500 so I have the 5 lug. I'm running a 2/4 Belltech drop. Id also like to know what size tires to go for, mainly to keep my speedo accurate. If anybody runs this setup, please help! I like to ask for help here before doing anything, because if I don't know something, one of the 26,000+ of you on here can!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing off about the bolt pattern; they're 5x5 just like your truck. The offset isn't ideal for a dropped GMT400 though but with a 2/4 drop you're probably fine. I ran them on a 4/6-5/7 drop and had to run short front tires so they wouldn't rub. Rears were no problem with the stock Impala size 255/50/17 and probably room for a bit more. That's a much shorter tire than stock though so your speedo will be off for sure. You can easily recalibrate a '94 with a simple mod to your DRAC module in the glovebox. Much better than compromising on tire size just to keep the speedo correct.

Not the best pic of my '92 C1500 eclb but the angle of it does show how short of a tire I ran up front. It's been literally forever so I forget the size I chose but I think it was like a 245/?? any good tire shop can figure it out. In your case though like I said with the 2/4 you can probably get away with the stock size 255/50/17, that's a 27" tire. Original on your C1500 is probably 225/75/15 (28") or 235/75/15 (almost 29") ..

You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT - I saw the old thread you posted in regarding the bolt pattern and see where it was mentioned the holes may need to be hogged out. The reason is the Impala, while 5x5 just like your truck, the studs on the Impala are 12mm while your truck has 14mm. I had zero trouble putting the Impala wheels on my truck, though. I ran no adapters, hogged no holes, etc. Just installed them.

Richard

Last edited:

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have spacers or anything on my tahoe limited. Running 275/55r17 front and rear with no rubbing, but I'm also running a stiffer suspension than a lot of people probably go with. I think it's a ~28" tall setup vs stock 28.9 so the speedo is off about 5 mph at highway speed vs gps. Roughly a 3/5 drop, maybe a little more. I did roll the fenders at the front through, and I run a degree negative camber at ride height in the front which helps too. Center caps are from a Chevy Venture minivan.

You must be registered for see images

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '97 on a 2/4.
When I first got the Impala wheels, they had the stock Impala sized 255/50's.
Threw the speedo way out. But, it was like dropping a rear gear ratio. Quicker off the line. Fun around town. Killed the highway mileage.
Didn't like the way the tires fit the truck. They just looked wierd. Too small.
So I bought some 275/55's. Same height/diameter as the stock 235/75-15's. Just w-i-d-e-r!
No more speedo prob & the highway mileage was back.
Needed to roll the front fender lips. They will also rub at the bottom rear of the inner wheel well.
(My 275/60-15's will do the same thing. #loweredtruckprobs!)
Causes no damage to the tires. Just makes a terrible 'bzzzzttt' noise.
Only happens on hard suspension compressions.
The rubbing will remove the paint/undercoating where the tires touch at the rear lower wheel well. Have a spray bomb of 'Landau Black' behind the seat for touch-ups
255/60's will also work. Again...same height/diameter as the stock size. Just a bit narrower then the size I bought.

The wheels bolt-on. No mods nor spacers.

The diff between the 255/50's & the 275/55's

With the 255/50's.

With the 275/55's.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Rolling the front lips is a must, for sure, if you're lowered much or run a tall tire. With more than a 2/4-3/5 drop, I would also seriously consider pulling the top-most wheel well bolts where they meet the fender, and in extreme cases I'd delete the air intake resonator to get rid of the bolts poking down towards the passenger tire tread. Or, a simple re-engineer of the bracket to flip the bolts and run some smooth socket head ones. The stock setup has the pointed end of the bolts aimed down.

Richard

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good call on all the bolts that hang down in the fender - I think that is awesome advice for any drop. As far as rolling the fender lips... I try to avoid that as much as possible. In this case with the impala wheels, I am not sure if the wheel offset is the issue or its the spindles. A lot of people use belltech drop spindles which push the wheels out an ass hair which generally requires the fender lip roll. Personally, I'd rather go with a different brand of spindle so I don't have to roll them (not sure if that's the case here). I think this comes into play when you are doing bags and 20"+ wheels too. I have seen OBS trucks where the wheel made contact in the upper inside of the fender and bent the crap out of it. Starting with the static drop though, I'd start preparing for the "bug to bag" or drop more by getting the right stuff early so when (Not if) you get the itch, you don't have to buy more parts and what you have will work for most applications of wheels and further tuck. My 2 cents for what it's worth - and another aspect to think about. Stay safe and healthy all!

Last edited:

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
My '97 on a 2/4.
When I first got the Impala wheels, they had the stock Impala sized 255/50's.
Threw the speedo way out. But, it was like dropping a rear gear ratio. Quicker off the line. Fun around town. Killed the highway mileage.
Didn't like the way the tires fit the truck. They just looked wierd. Too small.
So I bought some 275/55's. Same height/diameter as the stock 235/75-15's. Just w-i-d-e-r!
No more speedo prob & the highway mileage was back.
Needed to roll the front fender lips. They will also rub at the bottom rear of the inner wheel well.
(My 275/60-15's will do the same thing. #loweredtruckprobs!)
Causes no damage to the tires. Just makes a terrible 'bzzzzttt' noise.
Only happens on hard suspension compressions.
The rubbing will remove the paint/undercoating where the tires touch at the rear lower wheel well. Have a spray bomb of 'Landau Black' behind the seat for touch-ups
255/60's will also work. Again...same height/diameter as the stock size. Just a bit narrower then the size I bought.

The wheels bolt-on. No mods nor spacers.

The diff between the 255/50's & the 275/55's

With the 255/50's.

With the 275/55's.

Ive seen that truck before! Your truck is the one that made me decide on the 2/4 and these rims, so anything youve done ill for sure do, the stance of yours is perfect!

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
Rolling the front lips is a must, for sure, if you're lowered much or run a tall tire. With more than a 2/4-3/5 drop, I would also seriously consider pulling the top-most wheel well bolts where they meet the fender, and in extreme cases I'd delete the air intake resonator to get rid of the bolts poking down towards the passenger tire tread. Or, a simple re-engineer of the bracket to flip the bolts and run some smooth socket head ones. The stock setup has the pointed end of the bolts aimed down.

Richard

Intake resonator is gone already (all for that tbi sound). Im going with drop shocks and springs, so stock spindles unlike what most people do

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
What about the later Impalas with the same style wheels? Are they the exact same? I see 2004 impalas with the same style wheel but dont know if theyre the exact same