96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it‘s raining, which makes crawling underneath to check the oil leak a less than optimal experience. Hopefully it will stop sometime before dark.

That said, Jim’s shop just did some work in that same area of the engine compartment; and I have to wonder why they didn’t see the leak. But, even if I manage to get under it today, which is seeming less likely with each passing hour, the logical thing do to would be to take it back there first thing tomorrow morning and see what they can do. If it’s easily fixable and parts (like oil cooler lines) are available, and we can get out of there by noon, we can still get to the campground and set up before dark.

Or, if they find the leak and determine it’s ok to drive it, I’ll pack some extra oil and go for it.

I really don’t want to cancel the last trip of the season, if it can be helped, but that could be what happens. We’ll see.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monday morning and the rain has stopped.

Checked the oil and headed out to Jim’s shop.

Even without an appointment, they got me in right away and checked it out. The dripping fluid turned out to be from a leaking power steering hose (the one they didn’t replace last week). So they sourced one from a supplier and I’m now waiting for it to arrive. I should be out of here by 10AM or so, which means we can probably be on the road to the campground by noon. Plenty of time to get there and get set up well before dark. At least that’s the plan.

However, there’s also some oil seeping, but not dripping, at the fittings on the oil cooler lines, and from one of the valve cover gaskets. No big deal, but definitely something to be fixed at some point. Just not today.

So it looks like we’re back in the game.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towing/camping update:

The noon departure turned out to be 2:00 PM, but that was to be expected. Jim‘s crew had me back on the road by 10:30, but it took longer than expected for us to finish packing and hitching up the camper. Truth be told, I never was very good at estimating how long something like that takes; and particularly so since we haven’t actually done this for what seems like months.

Has it really been that long that the Subdivision has been out of commission? I suppose it has. Looking back, the last trip was in early August.

But we hitched up the camper and made it to the campsite with plenty of daylight left, and with no drama.

For the record, we normally wouldn’t go camping when it’s this cold (it’s supposed to go down to the mid 20s tonight), but I was bound and determined to see how the Subdivision would perform, and this was the last opportunity to do so this year. Plus the park is only an hour and a half from the farm.

And it has performed well, doing what it’s supposed to do. I’m mindful that there’s still the return trip on Thursday, which is when it got stuck in gear on the last trip, but I remain cautiously optimistic that that sort of thing is behind us.

We shall see.

Now that the sun is fully up and the temperature has reached 40ºF, it’s time to go for a walk.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home again.

It was cold. The campground hosts, who are from upstate New York and have been coming here for 14 years, said it was the coldest November at this park that they could remember.

Of course, this being southern Virginia, what is termed “cold” is not what our hosts normally experience up north, or what I experienced when living in Colorado and northern Arizona. But it was cold enough that we had to disconnect the water supply every night to avoid damage due to freezing.

That said, we were snug, ensconced in our humble mobile abode. During the short daylight hours we walked for miles, and hunted for sharks’ teeth along the beach on the James River. We enjoyed the grounds, restored structures, and history of the beautiful former Chippokes Plantation, and had some great seafood at one of the best restaurants that I’ve had the pleasure of dining at. It was a really good three-day trip. The trip confirmed that cold weather camping entails a fair amount of extra effort and preparation. We decided that we’ll likely stick to three season camping from here on out.

But enough about camping. This trip was primarily intended to be a final test of the Subdivision’s readiness for prime time. That the camping turned out so well was an added bonus.

And I’m pleased to report that it passed, as they say, with flying colors. It towed the camper, to the campsite and back home, without drama. That is, with not a hint of its former intermittent and sometimes show-stopping shifting and charging system issues. :33:

At long last, after some frustrating (at times baffling) and expensive detours on the road to restoration, this Suburban is now at the point where I thought it was after the bodywork and paint were completed last April: a very nice-looking, basically sound, rust-free vehicle with a number of things that need fixing; but one that starts, runs, and tows reliably.

Now I can focus on those remaining tasks that I’ve put off while navigating the aforementioned detours - no doubt including some issues that have yet to be discovered - which will bring this beast ever closer to being the restored and fully functional tow vehicle that I had in mind when I found it last November.

However, I feel that calling it a “tow vehicle” doesn’t really do it justice. Why? Because I have an inordinate fondness for these truck-based wagons, particularly ones of this vintage. It’s not rational, and it’s not just about saving money, although the price of newer alternatives are eye-watering. It’s an aesthetic preference for the design and comparative simplicity of the GMT 400. That, and genuine satisfaction in bringing back what I think is one of the best expressions of one of the oldest extant nameplates in vehicledom: the Suburban.

For me, my ‘93 Chevy K1500 Suburban Silverado was the gateway drug. I bought it from someone that kept it stored in a garage for seasonal use in Vail. We needed another vehicle, the price was right, and it only had 50,000 miles on it, so why not?

It was a good find; and exceeded all of my expectations. It turned out to be a nearly perfect vehicle for family road trips, car camping, even for some surprisingly challenging offroading in Colorado and southeastern Utah. Plus hauling mountain bikes, skis, and construction materials in any and all weather conditions. With a few tweaks, it consistently got between 18 and 20 mpg on the highway, and often a bit more. As a daily driver, it is more civilized than the K2500. Being a half ton, it rides and handles better.

And it looked great; right up until the white paint started peeling off in sheets, a former neighbor backed into it (but didn’t own up to it), and I backed it into a tree, denting the rear bumper and rear body. Oh, and it was rear-ended by a Ford Excursion, after which the rear doors were poorly repaired and leak to this day. Most recently, it may now need a transmission. So I’ve decided to let it go, but haven’t decided how best to do that. But that’s for another thread, which I’ll likely start at some point.

In any case, when we bought the camper in October ’22, I naively believed that the K1500 was going to be our tow vehicle. After all, I had towed a camping trailer with it - exactly once. To be sure, a shorter and lighter camper than our current rig, but hey - I towed a camping trailer with it! Should work, right?

Alas, it was not to be. It had reached the point where it simply needed too much to bring it up to par. More importantly, I learned that even running properly the K1500 wasn’t really designed to safely tow our 6000 lb camper. Which let me to search for and purchase the K2500 in November. Talk about putting the cart before the horse!

And so a year later, here we are. Yes, the Subdivision still has a ways to go; but mechanically, it is, as far as I can tell, sorted.

You must be registered for see images attach

Which means it’s time for ….

the Happy Dance! :banana-mario:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Glad it worked out! When in the midst of the troubles, its easy to lose sight of the endgame and the bigger picture. I daily drove my K2500 Suburban for 2 years, and every time I get back in it for a weekend grocery trip or if it has to pull DD duty for another reason, I question myself why I ever took it out of service(too save the miles on it, is my excuse I tell myself). While I love the go-kart size of my 1st gen Tundra, the 'burb is the better driver overall. If I had to own just 1 vehicle(thank God that's not currently the situation) it would be a BBC powered 3/4-ton Suburban. Its not outstandingly great at 1 thing, but it does a lot of things well!

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, I feel that calling it a “tow vehicle” doesn’t really do it justice. Why? Because I have an inordinate fondness for these truck-based wagons, particularly ones of this vintage. It’s not rational, and it’s not just about saving money, although the price of newer alternatives are eye-watering. It’s an aesthetic preference for the design and comparative simplicity of the GMT 400. That, and genuine satisfaction in bringing back what I think is one of the best expressions of one of the oldest extant nameplates in vehicledom: the Suburban.
Well put, and true on so many levels. From the eye-watering alternatives of a modern 'burb to the clean design and genuine ability to "just do the job" without complaint, these are special vehicles. Great to hear that your 2500 is reliably up and at work again. If it hasn't happened yet ... yours is probably about at the point where it will start picking up the odd comment or two about "that's a nice truck" because someone appreciates what it is and what it's still out and about doing.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out! When in the midst of the troubles, its easy to lose sight of the endgame and the bigger picture.
Yes, it is. It’s an ongoing challenge for me. But I’m better at it than I was.
I daily drove my K2500 Suburban for 2 years, and every time I get back in it for a weekend grocery trip or if it has to pull DD duty for another reason, I question myself why I ever took it out of service(too save the miles on it, is my excuse I tell myself). While I love the go-kart size of my 1st gen Tundra, the 'burb is the better driver overall. If I had to own just 1 vehicle(thank God that's not currently the situation) it would be a BBC powered 3/4-ton Suburban. Its not outstandingly great at 1 thing, but it does a lot of things well!
It truly is a great all-around vehicle. I expect to have this one for a good long while.

I love my ¾ ton station wagon!

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, the starter apparently gave up the ghost this morning. My GF and I were going into town, and when we stopped at the house we’re renovating, it wouldn’t start back up. The starter would spin but did not engage.

So I called my local shop, and within 15 minutes, on a Monday morning no less, the shop owner showed up with the tow rig and took it away. He’s pretty sure it’s the starter, or, worst case, a toothless flywheel. He’ll call me once he knows.

Fortunately we were able to get a ride home from a friend, in fairly short order.

My GF of course, was none too happy about this turn of events. She said she doesn’t trust the vehicle and wondered what else could go wrong. It seems she sees vehicles as kind of a black box. They either run reliably or they don’t.

Which, looking at it from her perspective, I completely understand. Given the Subdivision’s track record, the evidence is damning.

I explained that a starter is not an unusual point of failure in older vehicles, and that this just may be the last of the realistically likely showstoppers. It’s possible that I’m being too optimistic here. But I don’t think so.

Then I looked at the old service records, and the starter has been replaced three times, the last of which was in 2009, but only 15,000 miles ago. That seems like a lot of starters. Based on that, one could conclude that it’s a weak point in the design. Guess I’ll have to look into it a bit more.

No matter. Yes, I’m disappointed that it happened; but just can’t get too worked up about it. The starter will get fixed, and the Subdivision will be back on the road, with yet another new or rebuilt part.

Kind of like the Ship of Theseus.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
In other news, the starter apparently gave up the ghost this morning. My GF and I were going into town, and when we stopped at the house we’re renovating, it wouldn’t start back up. The starter would spin but did not engage.

So I called my local shop, and within 15 minutes, on a Monday morning no less, the shop owner showed up with the tow rig and took it away. He’s pretty sure it’s the starter, or, worst case, a toothless flywheel. He’ll call me once he knows.

Fortunately we were able to get a ride home from a friend, in fairly short order.

My GF of course, was none too happy about this turn of events. She said she doesn’t trust the vehicle and wondered what else could go wrong. It seems she sees vehicles as kind of a black box. They either run reliably or they don’t.

Which, looking at it from her perspective, I completely understand. Given the Subdivision’s track record, the evidence is damning.

I explained that a starter is not an unusual point of failure in older vehicles, and that this just may be the last of the realistically likely showstoppers. It’s possible that I’m being too optimistic here. But I don’t think so.

Then I looked at the old service records, and the starter has been replaced three times, the last of which was in 2009, but only 15,000 miles ago. That seems like a lot of starters. Based on that, one could conclude that it’s a weak point in the design. Guess I’ll have to look into it a bit more.

No matter. Yes, I’m disappointed that it happened; but just can’t get too worked up about it. The starter will get fixed, and the Subdivision will be back on the road, with yet another new or rebuilt part.

Kind of like the Ship of Theseus.
Yup I didn't want to have to mess with the starter or battery in my crew cab, but for the sake of reliability, I got both problems taken care of. Flexplate issues aren't unheard of on these trucks, but are not common either. I think that problem on my Burb started out with a carbon tracking issue in the cap and rotor.