96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes these old trucks do try out patience, don't they? Good to hear things seem to be better. Hopefully I'm on the right track to getting two good batteries and working power locks....
That’s putting it mildly. This truck has been a lesson in patience.

Good luck with the batteries and locks!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took another drive today, about 70 miles of mixed two lane country roads and interstate. The Subdivision ran well the whole trip. I stopped for gas and confirmed 13 mpg on this last tank. Not bad.

I wonder if the new VCM may be going through a learning process of some sort, as I’m sure that the shifts were slightly more firm today than yesterday; but not unpleasantly so. We’ll see how it goes during tomorrow morning’s drive.

Oddly enough, the vehicle, particularly the powertrain, feels different. I can’t quite put my finger on what the difference is, but I noticed it both yesterday and today, if that makes sense. I suppose that it could be a subtle difference in the programming between the new and old VCMs, or the fact that the new one is supposed to have some additional internal grounding to improve transmission function. I don’t know. But it has had a brain transplant, after all.

Of course I‘d like to declare this particular issue closed, but I’ve learned from past experience that it’s not yet time. There needs to be some more driving, and then the trip to Jim’s shop on Tuesday.

After that I’ll also take it up to Trent‘s shop to check out the transmission. He said that after Jim’s shop did its thing, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for him to have one more look at it. That adds time and distance, but will probably be worth it to me for peace of mind.

I’ve even caught myself thinking of trying to squeeze in a last camping trip before the season’s over. But that‘s probably pushing it.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another 45 miles or so driving to Petersburg and back, on mixed roads, with not even a hint of a problem.

Based on past performance, if the symptoms were going to reappear, it’s most likely that they would have done so by now. But the Subdivision continues to drive, ah, normally. What a concept!

I haven’t used the scan tool to check for codes yet, but will do so this afternoon; and then go for another drive. This morning is dedicated to overseeing the slab pour for the garage. That should be wrapped up by lunchtime.

At the very least, replacing the VCM has eliminated one major variable in getting this beast sorted. However, I’m starting to believe (albeit cautiously) that it has actually done the trick.

In either case, it feels like progress.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the trip to Jim’s shop was a good news - not so good news sort of a thing.

The good news is that the VCM seems to be functioning normally. I am, however, not willing to start doing the happy dance quite yet. I still have to hook up the camper and actually do some towing. When I do, and if the transmission continues to shift as it should while towing, then and only then will l mark that item off the list. But I’m optimistic; as of now, things are definitely looking up on that front.

The not so good news is that the Subdivision didn’t pass state inspection, due to a leaking power steering line that connects to the brake system, and a bad ball joint. Also, the EBCM (electronic brake control module) appears to have failed.

GM no longer supplies new EBCMs, nor does the aftermarket. Jim says I’ll need a used one, and gave me the OE part number and a list of used part suppliers that he deals with. The first one on the list found one in Missouri and is shipping it directly to Jim. The fellow I talked with also said they’ll pick up the core when it’s done, as they deliver a lot of parts to Jim’s shop.

Jim will call when the EBCM arrives and schedule a time next week and get everything done at once. Doing it myself in the driveway is not really an option at this point.

Overall, I’m thrilled that the VCM appears to be working and the transmission is shifting as it should. The other stuff is unfortunate, but on a 27 year old truck, it doesn’t really surprise me.

Progress.

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s late in the season, but we decided to risk taking one more camping trip to Chippokes State Park, a little over an hour away. It’s booked for the week of Nov 27, which is pushing it, weather wise. It will be yet another shakedown cruise.

When I lived in Colorado, the first major snowfall of the season usually happened around that time. Hopefully it won’t rain here, and it won’t be too cold. Our camper has what Jayco calls a Thermal Package, so it should be good if it dips below freezing at night. I expect daytime temperatures will still be pleasant.

We made this reservation in anticipation of the Subdivision being deemed ready by the end of next week. Which seems reasonable. Worst case, we’ll have to cancel and rebook for next year sometime.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: Drove the Subdivision home early this afternoon after a day and a half in Jim’s shop, sporting a brand new state inspection sticker, a new ball joint, a power steering pressure hose, and an ABS light that is no longer on. And, thankfully, no more alarm system; it has been removed.

Most importantly, the beast continues to run as it should, without drama. It has been doing so since I replaced the VCM. Changing that one component appears to have finally made the difference. That, and those other items, have made it roadworthy again.

To be sure, the next several days will be spent driving it as much as time permits, to see if any issues surface. But I don’t really expect any.

Towing the camper the following week should be the final test. If we are able to do that, without incident, then I think it will be safe to say that it’s fixed.

I’ll also give Trent the transmission guy a call on Monday to see if he thinks a final checkup would be a good thing to do. If so, it will probably have to wait until after our camping trip, as next week is Thanksgiving and I doubt he’ll be open much.

So, after months of chasing down electrical and electronic gremlins, I’m finally able to look forward to actually driving and using this vehicle, without fear of being stranded somewhere. I’m also looking forward to finishing some of the projects I’d started and put aside, like installing the sound system and backup camera, installing the new door pins and weatherstrip, and putting the Suburban and GMC Truck emblems on the rear doors. And so forth.

It’s about time.