96 C3500 RCLB aka Stumpy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Scored this tool box on market place, for a deal...

You must be registered for see images attach

So I have a dry, easy to get to place for my compressor, and tank...

For now this will just be running a big rig horn, and providing a little air when needed, but maybe one of these days, some air ride will find it's way on board.

Also got the rubber bed mat the other day, so looking forward to getting these two pieces installed.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Scored this tool box on market place, for a deal...

So I have a dry, easy to get to place for my compressor, and tank...

For now this will just be running a big rig horn, and providing a little air when needed, but maybe one of these days, some air ride will find it's way on board.

Also got the rubber bed mat the other day, so looking forward to getting these two pieces installed.
I feel like a big air horn is a necessity on these trucks..

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Laid the DeeZee bed mat in, and checked to see how the box was going to sit in the bed.

Ordered a Flexplate and new bolts from Rockauto, for the trans project. Leaning towards buying a stand alone trans controller. Will cost more, but I have no idea how to merge the trans wiring into my truck. Plus I'll be able to make adjustments to shift points, and firmness, with the controller.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Almost got the compressor install done. Just missing the 10 gauge power wire, and apparently nobody in this little town, sells a length longer than 8ft. Anyway, everything else is done.

Mounted the kill switch for the compressor in the ash tray, as I didn't want to put any holes in the dash.

The big rig horn, and valve are mounted behind the front bumper, running on 1/4" air line.

Instead of having a separate horn button, I said screw it, and using the factory horn wire to trigger the valve.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Didn't put a gauge on the air setup, so I've been checking everyday, to see how long it would take, to leak down enough, to trigger the compressor to kick on. Filled it Sunday morning, and it just got low enough to kick on today. Not too bad, 3 solid days to get down to 110psi, from 150, which is what the pressure switch is rated at.

Oh, and the big rig horn is loud AF. Looking forward to surprising the next jerk that thinks I'm invisible.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
The parts truck is getting closer to becoming scrap metal. Pulled the complete wiring harness for the power doors, and gutted the passenger door, Stumpy's passenger door is in better shape. Driver door is ready to come off. While I had everything exposed, pulled the entire wire harness for the overhead console, it was too easy. That thing really wants to be put into Stumpy.

Still not 100% on which way I'm going on the 4L80E wiring, but went ahead and pulled all the under hood wiring, and computer. If I go that route, I should have everything, and it'll be easier to dissect, out of the truck.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just stumbled on this thread. Nice work so far! I may have missed something, but are you not putting the 5.3 in now? Is that why you're "torn" about the 4l80 install and wiring

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Just stumbled on this thread. Nice work so far! I may have missed something, but are you not putting the 5.3 in now? Is that why you're "torn" about the 4l80 install and wiring
Yeah, the 5.3 is on the back burner. The 350 still runs pretty good, so sticking with it for a while.