95 k1500 fuel pump issue please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

That95k1500

Reaction score
Hey guys im new here, names stan. Ive had a 88 k2500 and a 89 k1500 before and this weekend i got my hands on a 95 gmc k1500. Its a 350 5speed truck. On the 4 hour drive home the truck died on the side of the turnpike. I figured out the fuel pump wasnt running. It would start every once and a while drive a mile and then die again. Put a new pump and relay in on the side of the turnpike and the pump still wouldnt run. I towed it home and hard wires the positive of the fuel pump to a known good 12v ignition and the pump kicked on and fired right up. I wouldnt mind this temporary fix, but the truck wont run past 1/2 throttle. So obviously power isnt getting to the pump, anyone have any ideas? If anyone has a diagnostic flow chart for a fuel pump issue that would be fantastic, or maybe a good wiring diagram? Thanks ahead of time guys.

That95k1500

Reaction score
Did you change the filter also?

Yes, and that wouldnt be the problem either way, if the pump was tunning and still not getting fuel then that would be an issue. But unless its hardwired the pump wont run. Its gotta be something in the positive side of the circuit

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You do know that igniting problems can also cut fuel. You should have verified fuel pressure and spark. You may just be overriding its fuel cut by hard wiring it and not getting adequate spark.

That95k1500

Reaction score
You do know that igniting problems can also cut fuel. You should have verified fuel pressure and spark. You may just be overriding its fuel cut by hard wiring it and not getting adequate spark.

True, i checked it out when it first died and it had spark didnt seem very strong and i do know of some ignition problems. Ill get them sorted out today and see what happens

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Last time I had "fuel pump" issues, I ended up changing it with and not fixing the problem. Ended up having to change the coil.

That95k1500

Reaction score
Last time I had "fuel pump" issues, I ended up changing it with and not fixing the problem. Ended up having to change the coil.

I have an extra coil laying around ill swap on and see if that helps, the truck doesnt want to start now and its got fuel now so its gotta be a spark issue